How to Change Where to Keep Text Cursor while using Magnifier in Windows 10
Magnifier is an accessibility tool bundled with Windows 10. When enabled, Magnifier makes part or all of your screen bigger so you can see words and images better. In recent Windows 10 builds, Magnifier has an ability to keep the text cursor in the center of the screen making it easier and smoother to type.
Every modern Windows version comes with accessibility options. They are included so people with impaired vision, hearing, speech or other challenges find it easier to work with Windows. Accessibility features improve with every release.
Magnifier is one of the classic accessibility tools that allows you to temporarily enlarge a portion of the screen in Windows 10. Formerly known as Microsoft Magnifier, it creates a bar at the top of the screen that greatly magnifies where the mouse pointer is.
You can choose to keep the text cursor centered on the screen or at the edges of the screen while using Magnifier in full screen view.
Note: This feature was first introduced in Windows 10 build 18894.
Here is how it can be done.
Change Where to Keep Text Cursor While Using Magnifier in Windows 10,
- Open the Settings app.
- Go to Ease of Access > Magnifier.
- Find the Keep the text cursor drop list under Change Magnifier view on the right.
- Select Centered on the screen or Within the edge of the screen for what you want.
- You are done.
Alternatively, you can configure this feature with a Registry tweak.
Choose Where to Keep Text Cursor with Magnifier in Registry
- Open the Registry Editor app.
- Go to the following Registry key.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ScreenMagnifierSee how to go to a Registry key with one click.
- On the right, modify or create a new 32-bit DWORD value CenterTextInsertionPoint.
Note: Even if you are running 64-bit Windows you must still create a 32-bit DWORD value.
- Set its value data as follows:
- 0 = Within the edge of the screen (used by default)
- 1 = Centered on the screen
- To make the changes done by the Registry tweak take effect, you need to sign out and sign in to your user account.
You can save your time by downloading the following Registry files.
The undo tweak is included.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: