By default, Windows stores your OneDrive files in a folder located inside your user profile on your system drive, e.g. C:\User\Sergey\OneDrive. This can become troublesome if you run out of free space of you system drive or if you have large amounts of data stored on OneDrive's cloud storage. In such a situation, you might want to move the OneDrive folder to another location.
OneDrive is bundled with Windows since Windows 8. It is the all-on-one solution built by Microsoft to provide the user the ability to have the same set of settings, same files and same appearance on every PC he signs in with using his Microsoft Account. Previously known as SkyDrive, the service got rebranded some time ago.
The synchronization feature in OneDrive relies on Microsoft Account. To use OneDrive, you have to create one first. Besides OneDrive, Microsoft Account can be used to log in to Windows 10, Office 365 and most online Microsoft services.
To change the OneDrive folder location in Windows 10, do the following.
- If you have signed in your account in the OneDrive app, sign out from there. Right click the OneDrive icon in the system tray to open its settings.Go to the Account tab and click on Unlink This PC as shown below.
- The OneDrive app will now be unlinked from this PC. It won't sync files to your OneDrive folder in Windows 10, so it can be moved. Do it as follows.
- Open File Explorer
- Type or copy-paste the following in the address bar: %userprofile%
- Press the Enter key on the keyboard. You user profile folder will be opened.
- Select the OneDrive folder and click Move to in the Ribbon as shown below.Select a new destination folder to move the OneDrive folder to. Alternatively, you can click "Cut" to cut the OneDrive folder and paste it to another location.
- Wait till all files will be moved to a new location.
- Run OneDrive and set up your account.
- Type your password when prompted.
- On the next page, click the link Change location and specify the new folder you moved your OneDrive files to.
- Confirm your choice in the next dialog (click on the button Use this location).
- Finish your OneDrive app configuration and you are done.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!