Yesterday Microsoft released Skype for Linux Alpha version 1.13. It is a new application which has nothing common with the previously available Skype 4.3. In this version, the application got support for sending SMS.
The change log for Skype 1.13 looks as follows:
- Enabled SMS sending
- Update to Electron 1.4.7
- Support for remote escalation of the 1-1 call to group call
- Improved crash reporting
- Added support for authentication token revocation
- Bugfixes and performance improvements
To try out the Skype app right now, do the following.
- Point your browser here: Skype for Linux Alpha
- Download and install the appropriate package.
- Open the apps menu and run it from there.