Microsoft is releasing a new development version of their Chromium-based Edge browser. Version 188.8.131.52 comes with a huge list of new features and fixes.
Here are the key changes in version 184.108.40.206 of Microsoft Edge in the Dev channel.
New features and behavior
Note: These features must be familiar to Edge Canary users.
- Read Aloud enabled for PDFs
- Enable secure receipt of payment card data.
- Enable Application Reputation from SmartScreen by default
- Fix to support Dolby audio on Windows 8.
- Family safety feature has a flag in edge://flags.
- Direct launch for ClickOnce applications has been enabled.
- Support for HEVC decoder has been added.
- Enable Windows Defender Application Guard by default
- Now we sort extensions into “From Microsoft Store” and “From other store” categories
- Added “Recent” category in History management page
- Disabled InPrivate browsing for profiles managed by Family Settings
- Added tracking prevention under a flag in edge://flags.
- Added ability to Save pages as MHTML from reading view
- Work to support single sign on (SSO) and Azure Active Directory (AAD)
- Work to support DRM in PDF
- Localization into 11 languages (more coming)
- Enabling SmartScreen on macOS by default
- Enabling SafeSearch functionality for all Bing searches.
Fixes for improved reliability
- Fix for TouchBar on macOS when in YouTube fullscreen mode.
- Multiple fixes to sync engine
- Improved the crash reporting and uploading
- Fixed a crash on URL load
- Fixed an error when sync was turned off and on repeatedly.
- Fixed a crash when trying to write to a read only date attribute
- Fixed a crash when moving tab between two windows on separate screens.
- Fixed a crash that occurred when sync occurred before sign-on completed
- Fixed a crash that occurs on some navigation requests.
- Fixed a crash on pop-up windows
- Fixed crash on launch of Microsoft Edge of macOS Sierra and High Sierra versions
- Enabled ability to automatically repair extensions by default.
- Fixed an issue with guest more support on privacy and services settings page.
- Fixed crash on launch of Microsoft Edge of macOS
Fixes for improved behavior
- Improvements to dark mode in various controls and pages
- Select the last used Chrome profile by default when importing from Chrome.
- Move multiple controls to Fluent UI
- Improve the cleanup logic in the installer
- Limit New Tab Page content for Education SKUs and Windows 10s.
- Fixes to new WebView control rendering
- Fixes for importing defaults from Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer
- Fixes for Reading View toolbar
- Fixes for importing pinned tabs and settings during First Run Experience
- Fix to use user preference for font size rather than preset default.
- Automatically move keyboard focus to address bar after First Run Experience
- Fixed the swipe gesture for History on macOS
- Fixed the sync icon badge on the user flyout.
- Audio offload fixes to improve performance and battery life.
At the moment of this writing, the latest Microsoft Edge Chromium versions are as follows.
I have covered many Edge tricks and features in the following post:
Also, see the following updates.
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Allows Switching Theme
- Microsoft Edge: Support for Windows Spell Checker in Chromium Engine
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Prepopulate Find with Text Selection
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Gets Tracking Prevention Settings
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Change Display Language
- Group Policy Templates for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Pin Sites To Taskbar, IE Mode
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Will Allow Uninstalling PWAs as Desktop Apps
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Includes YouTube Video Info in Volume Control OSD
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Canary Features Dark Mode Improvements
- Show Icon Only for Bookmark in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Autoplay Video Blocker is coming to Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium is Receiving New Tab Page Customization Options
- Enable Microsoft Search in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Grammar Tools Are Now Available in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Follows System Dark Theme
- Here’s how Microsoft Edge Chromium looks on macOS
- Microsoft Edge Chromium now installs PWAs in the root of the Start menu
- Enable Translator in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Dynamically Changes Its User Agent
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Warns When Running as Administrator
- Change Search Engine In Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Hide or Show Favorites Bar in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Install Chrome Extensions in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable Dark Mode in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Chrome Features Removed and Replaced by Microsoft in Edge
- Microsoft Released Chromium-based Edge Preview Versions
- Chromium-Based Edge to Support 4K and HD Video Streams
- Microsoft Edge Insider extension now available in Microsoft Store
- Hands-on with the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Insider Addons Page Revealed
- Microsoft Translator is Now Integrated with Microsoft Edge Chromium