Windows 10 version 1607 "Anniversary Update" comes with a new feature called "Bash on Ubuntu". It provides the Linux command line shell "bash" for Windows via a native implementation which runs faster than a virtual machine with Linux installed. It allows running console Linux apps too. If you use it frequently, you might find it useful to have a special context menu command "Open Bash Here" that opens the Bash console in the desired folder with one click. Here is how you can add it.
In this article I assume that you have Bash on Ubuntu installed and configured in Windows 10. If not, ensure that you are running Windows 10 version 1607 and first install Bash. See these articles for reference:
Once configured, you can apply a Registry tweak as mentioned below.
To add Bash Context Menu in Windows 10, do the following.
- Open Registry Editor.
- Go to the following Registry key:
- Create a new subkey here called "shell":
- Under shell, create a new subkey. Give it some recognizable name like "openbashhere":
- Set the value data of the default (unnamed) value under the "openbashhere" subkey to "Open Bash here":
- Under the "openbashhere" subkey, create a new value of type "Expandable String Value" and name it as "Icon":
- Set its value data to:
- Again, under the "openbashhere" key, create a new subkey called "command":
- Set the value data of the default (unnamed) value of the "command" subkey to:
cmd.exe /c cd /d "%V" && bash.exe
- Now, repeat the steps above under the key:
- Additionally, you can create a similar Registry structure under the key
- Finally, you can create the appropriate keys and values under the following key:
For those who want to avoid Registry editing, a ready-to-use tweak and an undo file are available for download here:
To save your time, use Winaero Tweaker. It has the appropriate option under Context Menu:You can get the app here: Download Winaero Tweaker.
Watch the following video to see this tweak in action:
Tip: you can subscribe to our YouTube channel HERE.
That's it. If you have suggestions or questions - welcome to comments.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!