Microsoft is releasing Windows 11 Build 26002 to Insiders in the Canary channel. The new build includes a new Energy Saver feature that is available even when your PC is plugged in, improves Quick Actions, VPN management, and comes with some fixes.
What's new in Windows 11 Build 26002 (Canary)
Microsoft is introducing a Power Saver feature that complements and improves existing battery-saving features. This is an easy way to extend your device's battery life and reduce power consumption at the expense of performance. You can control this function from the quick actions menu in the system tray. Also in “Settings” you can configure automatic activation of energy saving when the charge level drops to a certain percentage.
Although the feature is optimized to extend the battery life of the device, it will also be available when connected to a power source (and even on desktop computers), which will be useful if you are trying to save energy.
Changes and improvements
Taskbar and system tray
- Microsoft is testing changes that improve the performance and responsiveness of the Quick Actions menu in the system tray.
- Microsoft makes it easy to manage your VPN with a Quick Actions menu. If you only have one VPN network available to you, the new switch allows you to quickly turn it on and off. If you have multiple VPN networks, you will notice changes to the connection list that are aimed at reducing the time it takes to start a connection.
- Started implementing a new Refresh button in the Wi-Fi section of the Quick Actions menu so you can start searching for available wireless networks again. An indication of scanning progress has also appeared.
- Microsoft has started adding Microsoft account-related notifications to the home page in the Settings app. A Microsoft account links Windows to the Microsoft apps you use, backs up your data, and helps you manage your subscriptions. You can also enable additional security measures to prevent account suspension.
- The new feature displays notifications in both the Start menu and Settings. You can control the display of notifications in the Settings > Privacy and Security > General section.
- Removed the colored background under application icons in the Apps > Installed Apps and System > Notifications sections. This is an early implementation. There will be more fixes in future builds.
- Fixed an issue where the installation of some apps, such as Phone Connectivity, would fail with error code
- Fixed an issue where, in previous builds for the Canary Channel, the Microsoft Store would freeze when attempting to check for and install app updates.
- Fixed an issue that causes the Settings app to crash when trying to open the Settings -> Bluetooth & Devices -> Touchpad page.
- Fixed an issue that caused Explorer to crash when launching it if regional sorting was used with settings other than the default ones.
- [Reminder] Some popular games may not work correctly in Canary Channel Insider builds. If you notice any problems, be sure to leave feedback in the Feedback Center app.
- [New] Once Build 26002 has finished downloading and the system is ready to reboot to complete the update, there will be no reboot button on the Windows Update page. You can reboot by clicking the Windows Update icon in the system tray, or by using the Power menu in Start. After installing build 26002, the Windows Update page in Settings may not load correctly. If you close the Settings app, reopen it, and go to the Windows Update page, it should load correctly.
- Investigating reports that the system freezes at the logo when attempting to reboot into Safe Mode.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!