Microsoft has issued a new cumulative update for the earlier released Windows 10 build 20236. It is now available in the Dev channel, and is claimed to be a test for company's servicing pipeline. Actually, it adds a couple of known issues, and also unlocks the newest Emoji picker for all Windows Insiders.
New known issues
- [ADDED] We’re investigating GPU Compute scenarios, such as using CUDA and DirectML, not working inside of the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL).
- [ADDED 10/16] Windows Insiders on ARM PCs such as the Surface Pro X will notice that Windows PowerShell will fail to launch on this build. As a workaround, please use “Windows PowerShell (x86)” or “Windows PowerShell ISE (x86)” from the Start menu if you need to use PowerShell. Or download the new and modern PowerShell 7 which takes advantage of ARM by running natively. Plus the icon is prettier.
New Emoji Picker
Over the last 3 years, we have been adding ways to express yourself when typing in Windows. In addition to adding an emoji picker and support for more emoji, we have also added support for many more languages, kaomoji, and symbols. We have also added ways to manage your clipboard history. We are evolving the emoji picker in Windows to bring many of these separate experiences together as well as introduce some new capabilities such as easy access to animated GIFs.
We know that you need more than just emojis to properly convey your message when communicating using text. To that end, we’ve revamped the emoji picker to be a one-stop for expressing yourself while you type on your device! This new experience offers:
- An updated design: We are making the experience more aligned with our Fluent Design principles, including a new acrylic background.
- Emoji search: We are improving discoverability of emoji search in supported languages by having an inline search box.
- Animated GIF support, including search: Going forward, WIN + [.] and WIN + [;] will now enable you to quickly input animated GIFs. The selection of animated gifs will be continuously updated based on current trends and #hashtags. Search is also available for those times where you need to find the perfect reaction gif to succinctly communicate your message.
- Converging our input experiences across emoji and clipboard history: We are bringing input and clipboard history together into a single experience. You can still press WIN + V to go straight to clipboard history, but now you can also access it by switching to the “Clipboard” category after pressing WIN + [.] or WIN + [;].
The above features were available for some with Windows 10 build 20206. Now the are accessible to all Insiders.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: