A new build of Windows 10 was published by Microsoft for Windows Insiders. This time it is Windows 10 build 10547. Unlike previous post-RTM test builds which were boring, this one comes with some interesting changes.
As many users requested, it is possible to have more than three columns for Tiles in the Start Menu under a single group so two wide or two large tiles can be placed next to each other. A new option in the Settings app controls the additional column. To have four columns instead of three by default, you need to go to Setttings -> Personalization -> Start and turn on the option "Show more tiles" there. This is nothing new over Windows 8.1 though which automatically tried to fit more tiles depending on your DPI and resolution and had a "Show more tiles" option.
In Tablet mode, using Task View you can now snap apps to left and right, replace a previously snapped app with another (teeter) and swipe down to close an app. These are just some Windows 8 features returning which were removed.
Some apps received updates. The Photos app adds a folder view to see your local photos and OneDrive folders. And many other apps such as Xbox, Groove Music, Mail and Calendar, and Maps have also received updates.
You can now turn off the Windows background picture on the Sign-in screen if you want by going to the Settings app > Personalization > Lock screen and turning off "Show Windows background picture on the sign-in screen".
The text input panel (touch keyboard) now expands as you write to provide more space in Latin languages. The text input panel also no longer opens automatically when you are not in tablet mode or have an external Surface keyboard attached. Additional punctuation support has been added to the suggestions bar to make entering punctuation characters easier. Lastly, improvements have been made to help the suggestions be more relevant.
Another big change is that you can now use Cortana with local accounts as well as with a Microsoft account!
Here are some things Microsoft fixed:
- They fixed a lot of the underlying causes of the critical error dialog Insiders were seeing with the Start menu/Start screen. And search should work more consistently now when interacting with Start.
- The notification icon for Action Center should no longer light up even though there weren’t any new notifications.
- They fixed an issue where the Battery flyout text was truncated in certain languages.
- When choosing background shuffle, they have enabled the ability to shuffle backgrounds randomly instead of the order they appear in the folder.
- They have fixed several issues with audio – including issues specific affecting Realtek audio devices.
Have you downloaded this build? Do you notice anything else that is different? Let us know in the comments.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!