Radionomy, the current owner of the Winamp player, today released Winamp 5.8 Beta. The app has recently leaked to the Internet. This new official release comes with a change log and a short note from the company.
Winamp is definitely one of the best media players available for Microsoft Windows. It has a long history, impressive popularity and still has plenty of users around the world. Unfortunately, the project started to lose its popularity due to AOL and their management policies. Winamp got a paid pro version, and there was no UI improvement for many years. Since 2013, there hasn't been a single release of the app.
The Winamp app was originally created and released in 1997 by Justin Frankel. Later in 1999, Winamp was sold to AOL. Finally, it was acquired by Radionomy in 2014, which is the current owner of the app.
Winamp is still one of the most popular media players available for Windows. From my personal experience, it is one of the most versatile and feature-rich media players, has an enormous variety of plugins and skins available and is stable enough for every day use.
Today, we have a new version available for download. The official home page states the following:
A leaked version of Winamp 5.8 recently spread over the Internet. Consequently, we have decided to make this new version available to you, revised by us.
We therefore recommend that you download this version rather than any other as we guarantee it is safe for you to use.
The released app is Winamp 5.8 Beta, Build 3660. Here is its change log.
Winamp 5.8 Beta, Build 3660
* New: Windows Audio (WASAPI) Output plug-in (w.i.p.)
* Improved: Added an option to completely disable Winamp's video support
* Improved: Added an auto-fullscreen option to video prefs
* Improved: Added /ENUMPLAYLISTS to the command-line support
* Improved: Windows 8.1 and 10 compatibility
* Improved: [in_mod] OpenMPT-based Module Player (replaces old MikMod player)
* Improved: [ml_playlists] Added browse path & edit title functions in Ctrl+E editor
* Improved: [Bento] Updated scrollbars and buttons and other tweaks (thanks Martin)
* Improved: [Bento & Modern skins] Added a Playlist Search feature (thanks Victor)
* Fixed: New URLs not being remembered after using Reset history in Open URL dialog
* Fixed: Various memory leaks
* Fixed: [gen_tray] Not showing correct current icon pack in preferences
* Fixed: [in_avi] Divide-by-zero crash with badly formed files (thanks ITDefensor)
* Fixed: [in_mp3] Crashing with some ID3v2 tags
* Fixed: [ml_wire] Slow loading issue
* Fixed: [ssdp] Crash on load if jnetlib was not correctly initialized
* Misc: Minimum required OS is now Win XP sp3 (Windows 7 or higher recommended)
* Misc: More general tweaks, improvements, fixes and optimizations
* Misc: Moved shared DLLs to Winamp\Shared folder
* Removed: All former "Pro" licensed functions (Winamp is now 100% freeware again)
* Removed: gen_jumpex & UnicodeTaskbarFix (making way for native implementations)
* Removed: ml_nowplaying
* Removed: [in_wm] DRM support
* Replaced: CD playback and ripping now using native Windows API (instead of Sonic)
* Replaced: MP3 Decoder now mpg123 based (instead of Fraunhofer)
* Replaced: AAC Decoder now using Media Foundation (Vista and higher)
* Replaced: H.264 Decoder now using Media Foundation (Vista and higher)
* Replaced: MPEG-4 Pt.2 Decoder now using Media Foundation (Vista and higher)
* Updated: [in_vorbis] libogg 1.3.3 & libvorbis 1.3.6
* Updated: [libFLAC] FLAC 1.3.2
* Updated: [libyajl] libyajl v2.1.0
* Updated: [OpenSSL] OpenSSL v1.0.1i
* Updated: [png] libpng v1.5.24
Some features are works-in-progress, e.g. new in_mod & out_wasapi plugins
Sorry, no CD burning, autotag or cddb features yet.
No multinational version with lang packs yet either.
Changes since unofficial build 3563
Removed ml_nowplaying; updated libogg, libvorbis, libflac & libopenmpt; copyright updates; added more genres to file info dialog; new digital cert; various other general tweaks, fixes and prep work....
Interested users can download the app from here:
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: