If you are frequently using Hyper-V, you might be pleasantly surprised to know that Microsoft has added a new Ubuntu virtual machine image to the Hyper-V Quick Create feature. It takes exactly one click now to get a working 19.04 Ubuntu instance.
Back in September 2018 Microsoft announced the availability of optimised 18.04 LTS desktop images for Microsoft’s Hyper-V gallery bring a host of benefits including:
- Improved clipboard integration
- Dynamic desktop resizing
- Shared folders for easy host/guest file transfer
- Improved mouse experience, seamlessly moving between the host and guest desktops.
Today, a new Ubuntu 19.04 image became available along with the LTS version. This will help make life a bit easier for people working with Ubuntu desktop on Windows.
This is a really nice addition to Windows Subsystem for Linux, which is officially limited to console apps and services. It requires dirty hacks to run GUI apps at the moment of this writing.
Create Ubuntu 19.04 Virtual Machine with Hyper-V Quick Create
- Enable Hyper-V in optional features if you don't have it installed.
- Type Quick Create in Cortana/Search on the taskbar.
- Select Hyper-V Quick Create in the search result.
- Select Ubuntu 19.04 as shown below.
In the future, Microsoft is planning to provide the latest LTS and the most recent non-LTS release. That way you can choose between the known quantity of the LTS or the freshest release.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!