In Windows 10, there is a way to reboot the OS quickly and launch the Advanced Startup Options (troubleshooting options) directly. This is very useful if you have some issue that you cannot fix in the regular Windows 10 environment, for example, you may need to overwrite or delete some in-use files. It is really a good alternative to a bootable DVD or USB stick. Follow the simple instructions in this article to quickly access the Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10.
To access Advanced Startup Options directly, Windows 10 offers you a secret hidden method described below.
- Open the Start menu and move your mouse pointer to the Shutdown button. Click it to open the Shutdown menu:
- Press and hold the Shift key on the keyboard. Do not release the Shift key and click the Restart item:
- Windows 10 will restart quickly and the Advanced Startup Options screen will appear.
That's it. If you are interested in doing the same thing in Windows 8/8.1, please refer to the following article: How to boot to safe mode command prompt quickly in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 Or if you use a quality Start menu replacement, it should also support this ability to access Advanced Startup Options by pressing Shift+Restart.
An alternative way to access Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10 is as follows:
- Open the Start menu and click Settings.
- Go to Update and recovery -> Recovery:
- There you will find Advanced startup. Click the Restart now button.
You might be interested in pinning these settings to the Start menu. See How to pin Modern settings from the Settings app to the Start Menu in Windows 10.
Tell us which method you prefer for accessing Advanced Startup Options.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!