Mozilla releases Thunderbird 78.7, a maintenance update to the app that includes a number of general fixes and new extension APIs. It is now available for download for Windows, mac OS and Linux.
Thunderbird is my preferred email client of choice. I use this app on every PC and on every operating system I use. It is stable, contains all the features you need, supports add-ons and also comes with a useful RSS reader. I am using Thunderbird for many years and never felt the need to look for an alternative.
Thunderbird 78 doesn't support classic XUL add-ons any longer, but includes some of their features out-of-the-box. For example, on Windows you can minimize the app to the system tray.
The following changes have been made to the app.
What's in Thunderbird 78.7
New and updated extension API
- ⭐New Extension API: Compose API now supports editing messages and templates as new messages
- ⭐New Extension API: composeHtml is now exposed in MailIdentity
- ⭐New Extension API: windows.update and windows.create now support titlePreface
- ⭐New Extension API: new Accounts API functions: accounts.getDefault() and accounts.getDefaultIdentity(accountId)
- 🔃Updated Extension API: body and plainTextBody are now used as compose mode selectors in setComposeDetails and begin* functions in Compose API
- 🔃Updated Extension API: browserAction buttons were not restored after restart if they were moved outside the default toolbar
- 🔃Updated Extension API: browser.compose.beginNew could not override identity plaintext setting
- 🔃Updated Extension API: browser.compose.beginForward was ignoring ComposeDetails
- 🔃Updated Extension API: browser.compose.setComposeDetails did not properly handle Windows-style line endings
- Account Manager: When deleting the last remaining account, the default account was not getting cleared and still pointed to the no-longer-existing account
- OpenPGP: Verification of an inline signed message would fail if it contained leading whitespace
- OpenPGP: Various other minor bug and stability fixes
- Mail Window: Quickfilter bar buttons disappear when hovered on Windows 10 High Contrast Black theme
- Theme: folder properties dialog contained black text on a black background in dark mode
- Theme: recipient pills in compose window were not visible in high contrast dark theme on Windows 10
- Extension API: browserAction buttons were not restored after restart if they were moved outside the default toolbar
- Extension API: browser.compose.beginNew could not override identity plaintext setting
- Extension API: browser.compose.beginForward was ignoring ComposeDetails
- Extension API: browser.compose.setComposeDetails did not properly handle Windows-style line endings
- Various security fixes
- Download Thunderbird
The release notes are available here.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: