New information about upcoming changes to Windows 10 has become available. The Action Center, which currently shows notifications and provides quick access to system actions like airplane mode or screen brightness, will be extended with new functionality. There are a number of interesting features it will get with new upcoming builds. Let's see what those features are.
The following screenshots demonstrate the planned features of the new Action Center:
As you can see, the position of its icon has moved in the notification area (system tray) and it now looks a bit bigger. It will show a notifications counter on top of its icon and also the icon of the app which produced the notification. This way, it can provide more information to the user even when he has not opened the Action Center.
Microsoft has the following goals:
- Keep incoming notifications subtle but still bring the user's attention to it.
- Move the Action Center icon into a corner, right next to the Show Desktop icon so its position is more fixed and it does not get mixed with other tray icons. Note: The Show Desktop/Aero Peek button does not move.
- Make the Action Center icon easier to click
- Add color to the icon for a brief amount of time
- Give you an idea of the number of incoming notifications
- Help you determine when would opening the Action Center be relevant by giving a sense of which application just sent a notification
- Create an alternative option for those that want a quieter solution than toast notifications while still having a visual cue that a new notification has arrived
What is your opinion about this change? Do you like it or not? Tell us in the comments.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!