December 2021 firmware update for the second-gen Surface Duo is here. Unlike previous updates, the latest release for the dual-screen smartphone from Microsoft contains not just Android security updates. There are numerous device-specific improvements, fixes, and new features.
What is new in December 2021 firmware update for Surface Duo 2?
This month, the changelog for December 2021 firmware update splits into two parts: new features and fixes. Here are all the new features for Surface Duo 2:
- You can now launch OneNote by clicking the top button on Surface Slim Pen. Note that this feature requires Surface Slim Pen to be paired with Surface Duo 2.
- You can now select the default screen when the device is folded. The option is available in the Settings app.
- You can now choose preferences for answering phone calls when folded. Again, this option is available in the Settings App.
And here are all the fixes and improvements in December 2021 firmware update for Surface Duo 2:
- Improvements for the overall system reliability and stability.
- Improvements for app navigation with more support animations.
- Improvements for camera usability.
- Improvements for touch responsiveness.
- Improvements for LDAC-enabled Bluetooth devices.
- Reliability improvements for the Android Auto experience.
To download December 2021 firmware update, you need at least 258MB of free space. Microsoft says there are no known issues in the release.
Surface Duo 2 runs Android 11 out of the box, but Microsoft promised to release Android 12 somewhere in 2022. Meanwhile, owners of the original Surface Duo remain stuck with Android 10, and it appears that Microsoft failed to deliver its promise to release the Android 11 update “before the end of the year.” Perhaps, Android 11 will arrive for the original Surface Duo as a part of December 2021 update.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!