Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows 10. Narrator lets users with vision issues to use PC and complete common tasks. The operating system allows automatically starting Narrator after sign-in to your user account in Windows 10. Here's how it can be done.
Microsoft describes the Narrator feature as follows:
Narrator lets you use your PC without a display or mouse to complete common tasks if you’re blind or have low vision. It reads and interacts with things on the screen, like text and buttons. Use Narrator to read and write email, browse the Internet, and work with documents.
Specific commands let you navigate Windows, the web, and apps, as well as get info about the area of the PC you're in. Navigation is available using headings, links, landmarks, and more. You can read text (including punctuation) by page, paragraph, line, word, and character as well as determine characteristics like font and text color. Efficiently review tables with row and column navigation.
Narrator also has a navigation and reading mode called Scan Mode. Use it to get around Windows 10 using just the up and down arrows on your keyboard. You can also use a braille display to navigate your PC and read text.
Also, you can make Narrator automatically start after you sign-in to your account. Here is how.
To start Narrator after Sign-in in Windows 10, do the following.
- Open the Settings app.
- Go to Ease of Access -> Narrator.
- On the right, turn on the toggle option Narrator to enable it.
- Under Choose when to start Narrator, turn on the option Start Narrator after sign-in.
You are done. Alternatively, you can apply a Registry tweak, as follows.
Make Narrator Start After Sign-in with a Registry Tweak
- Open the Registry Editor app.
- Go to the following Registry key.
See how to go to a Registry key with one click.
- On the right, modify or create a new string (REG_SZ) value Configuration.
Set its value to "narrator" without quotes to enable the feature. An empty value data will disable it.
- To make the changes done by the Registry tweak take effect, you need to sign out and sign in to your user account.
To save your time, you can download the following ready-to-use Registry files.
The undo tweak is included.
- All Ways to Enable Narrator in Windows 10
- Disable Narrator Keyboard Shortcut in Windows 10
- Hear Advanced Information About Controls with Narrator in Windows 10
- Change Narrator Keyboard Shortcuts in Windows 10
- Turn On or Off Narrator Caps Lock Warnings in Windows 10
- Read by Sentence in Narrator in Windows 10
- Disable Narrator QuickStart Guide in Windows 10
- Unlock Extra Text to Speech Voices in Windows 10
- How to Change Narrator Audio Channel in Windows 10
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!