Starting in version 22.214.171.124 of Skype, you can set a custom image as your Skype background. It is a nice addition to the changes we have already seen in the same version earlier released to Insiders.
Skype for Windows, Mac, Linux, and Web 126.96.36.199 had started rolling out April 16, 2020, and is now gradually released to all Skype users.
What's new in this version
- This could be anywhere: Want to look like you're calling from the beach, or from space? Now you can, with custom backgrounds for your video calls.
Note: Background improvements are not available for Skype for Windows 10 (Version 14).
- Share all the things, Part 2: Now you can share files directly from your Mac to your Skype contacts, as well.
- Faster on the draw: You now have quicker access to call controls in the chat menu.
- Bug fixes and stability improvements. We've chased a few bugs out of the attic and done some spring cleaning.
To set a custom background for a call session.
- Click your profile picture.
- Click Settings ,then click Audio & Video.
- Under Choose background effect, you can choose an image you previously added, or Add a new image to customize your background effect.
Also, you can set a custom image as your Skype background during a call, as follows.
- During a call, hover over the video button or click the More menu.
- Click Choose background effect.
- Choose an image you previously added, or Add a new image to customize your background effect.