Microsoft Edge is the default web browser app in Windows 10. It's a Universal (Store) app which has extension support, a fast rendering engine and a simplified user interface. With recent updates, the browser allows using a new feature - "Read Aloud". It reads PDF files, EPUB books, and web pages out loud to you. It is possible to customize the speed and voice for Read Aloud.
Edge got a lot of changes with recent releases of Windows 10. The browser now has extension support, EPUB support, a built-in PDF reader, the ability to export passwords and favorites and a number of other useful functions like the ability to go Full screen with a single key stroke. In Windows 10 Creators Update, Edge got support for tab groups (Set Tabs Aside). In Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, the browser has been updated with Fluent Design.
Another great feature of the Microsoft Edge web browser is the ability to print web pages without ads, extra decorations and styles. Check out the following article.
You can make Microsoft Edge read the contents of a PDF, EPUB file, or a web page using the built-in Read Aloud feature of the browser. Here is how it can be done.
To Read Aloud in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10, do the following.
- Open Microsoft Edge.
- Open the desired text you want to use with Read Aloud. I'll open a EPUB book. Note: If you've opened a web page, it is recommended to switch to the Reader View.
- Click on an empty area on the contents to make its toolbar appear or press the Ctrl + Shift + O keys.
- Click on the Read Aloud button (See the screenshot).
- Alternatively, you can press the Ctrl + Shift + G keys. Also, the Read Aloud command is available in the page context menu.
Note: If you are not happy with enabling the Reading View every time you need to use the Read Aloud feature, it is possible to launch it from the Edge's main menu. You can open it by clicking on the menu button with three dots. Alternatively, press the Alt + X keys on the keyboard. In the menu, you'll see the Read aloud command.
However, this will make the Edge browser read advertisements and other extra elements. Enabling the Reading View is a recommended option when available.
Customize the speed and voice for Read Aloud
- While in Read Aloud mode, click the voice options icon on the toolbar.
- Change the speed slider position to change the speed of the voice.
- In the drop-down list below, you can select any of available voices for the Read Aloud feature.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!