In this article, we'll review a number of methods to prevent a user from changing his password in Windows 10. Once you follow the instructions in this article, the user won't be able to change his or her password. Here's how to do this.
Before you proceed, please keep in mind the following. In this article, we are disabling the ability to change the password for a user. This assumes that you have physical access to the computer and can access an administrative account to manage users. Here is how to find out if you are signed in as Administrator. Also, this article is not about resetting the password. If you need to reset a forgotten password, please refer to the following article instead:
Reset Windows 10 password without using third party tools
To prevent a user from changing the password in Windows 10, do the following.
- Open an elevated command prompt.
- Type or copy-paste the following command:
This command will show you a list of users available on the current PC.
- To prevent a user from changing the password, type the following command:
net user user_name /PasswordChg:No
Substitute the user_name portion with the actual user name from the list.
This will prevent the user from changing the password. To revert this change, execute the following command, again in the elevated command prompt.
net user user_name /PasswordChg:Yes
If your Windows 10 edition comes with the Local Users and Groups option, you can use it instead of the command prompt. Note: It is available only in Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, Education and Pro Education editions. Here is how.
- Press the Win + R keys together on your keyboard to open the Run dialog and type lusrmgr.msc in the Run box. Press the Enter key to open Local Users and Groups.
- On the left, click the Users folder.
- On the right, double-click the user account you need to change.
- The properties dialog will be opened. There, enable the option (tick the check box) User cannot change password and click on the OK button.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!
One thought on “Prevent User From Changing Password in Windows 10”
CMD prompt does not work anymore in widows 10 version 1909 to prevent net user from changing password!