Microsoft today released a new PowerToys version 0.64. It makes two new tools available to everyone. One of them, File Locksmith, will show you what process is preventing you from deleting or moving the file. Another one, Hosts File Editor, is an easy-to-use tool for changing the hosts file. Finally, PowerToys can now export/import their settings.
You can access File Locksmith from the File Explorer context menu for any file. It will show process(es) that use the selected file. For each of the process the app will display its ID, the user account it runs under, and the full list of files the process is using.
Hosts File Editor
The tool will allow you to add new entries with ease. Besides, it can re-arrange them in the hosts file, includes filters for faster search, and more.
With a couple of clicks, you will be able to export all your preferences to a folder. Later on this PC, you can restore them. Or you can transfer the backup data to a different device and restore them there.
Other notable changes
- FancyZones allows you to set defaults for horizontal/vertical screens to get better intended behavior for new screens and cases where a monitor ID resets.
- PowerToys ships with Group Policy Objects settings for force disabling and enabling PowerToys utilities in organizations. Check the GPO docs for more details.
- Video Conference Mute: Added a warning about deprecating Video Conference Mute in the future (v0.67), please check #21473 for more information.
- Added a setting to hide the Video Conference Mute overlay when muted.
- Always on Top detects and puts a window on top again if it's no longer on top.
- Color Picker: Added the hexadecimal integer format.
- Screen Ruler: Improved the acrylic brush used in the menu.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: