Microsoft just released a new stable version of PowerToys 0.58. It is focused on improving ARM64 compatibility, where it now runs natively. The legacy WebBrowser component is now ditched for the modern WebView 2. PowerToys is now built exclusively with .NET framework 6, and its Settings are now using WinUI 3.
PowerToys is an open source software that is a set of useful tools that add extra value to the functionality and appearance of Windows 11 and Windows 10. They will help you to rename multiple files at once, batch resize images and preview more file formats in File Explorer. There are a color picker, an advanced Run dialog that supports plugins, powerful keyboard and mouse tools. The recent addition is the Awake tool that is useful when you need to prevent your PC from sleeping.
What's new in PowerToys 0.58
- Spell checking fixes in the code.
- Fix for a CI error related to spell checking due to a GitHub API change.
- Fixed the documentation references to GitHub. ARM64
- Prepare solution and property files for ARM64 port.
- Port unhandled exception handler to ARM64.
- Port of the Settings projects to ARM64.
- Port of most of the PowerToys to ARM64.
- Port of the debug utilities to ARM64.
Always on Top
- Fix for topmost state of the window resetting for some applications.
- The CIEXYZ format is now properly show in upper case.
- Restore rounded corners on Windows 11 and add a setting to control this behavior.
- Fixed an edge case where the Windows Terminal window wouldn't be snapped when opened.
- Improved narrator support in the Grid Editor.
- Fixed a bug when restoring rounded corners on Windows 11.
- Fix for windows not being resized correctly on different dpi settings. (This was a hotfix for 0.57)
- Removed resolution from the screen identifier so zones aren't reset when resolution changes.
- Scale the canvas layout when editing according to new scaling/resolution.
- Shipping a new tool to help debug windows interactions with FancyZones.
- Fix for a crash in dev file preview if the settings file hadn't been created yet. (This was a hotfix for 0.57)
- New file types were added to dev file preview (".reg", ".xslt", ".xsd", ".wsdl", ".ino", ".pde", ".razor").
- Fix an existing "file still in use" issue in dev file preview.
- Dev file preview is now able to interpret file extensions in a case-insensitive way.
- SVG and markdown viewers no longer use WebBrowser and use WebView2 instead.
- Markdown preview now respects the dark mode settings on Windows.
- Fix for the bug causing shortcuts set on icons to not activate when a mouse utility was active on specific monitor configurations.
- Fix for PowerToys Run using high CPU and memory when updating its settings.
- Add the "Run as different user" feature to the Program, Shell, and Search plugins.
- Fix for a WindowWalker crash when a Virtual Desktop registry key is not set.
- Fix for VS Code Workspaces not using the user's path variable right after an install or update.
- Fix for the System plugin causing PowerToys Run to be slow when many network interfaces exist.
- Fix for the Program plugin not showing special shortcuts with empty targets, like Control Panel. (This was a hotfix for 0.57)
- Additional logging for the Terminal plugin.
- Web Search and URI plugins have better code for detecting the default browser now.
- Fix for the Services plugin not manipulating service names with spaces correctly.
- Fix for the Terminal plugin not recognizing profiles correctly.
- Fix for latest VSCode insiders build not showing up in the VSCode Workspaces plugin.
- Increased floating number precision in the Unit Converter plugin.
- VSCode Workspaces now finds portable installations of VS Code.
- Fixed an issue starting PowerToys Run when the desktop is not initialized.
- Settings now runs on WinUI3 instead of XAML islands.
- Settings no longer runs as an administrator when runner is started as an administrator.
- Use sensible default times for rechecking for an update, to avoid writing to the logs in a loop. (This was a hotfix for 0.57)
- Runner cleans up the update directory if the installation is up to date.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: