Windows PowerToys version 0.27 is out with a huge number of improvements and bug fixes. It sports changes made to several of its apps. The company has skipped version 0.26 for "higher priority work". Sadly, there is no Video Conference Mute utility, which remains only available in the experimental branch. According to the firm, it will come to the stable version of PowerToys later.
This release includes the earlier announcement multi-monitor improvements made to FancyZones.
What's new in PowerToys 0.27
- Installer improvements including dark mode
- Large sums of accessibility issues fixed.
- Worked on localization effort. If you find issues, please [make us aware so we can correct them][loc-bug].
- Multi-monitor editor experience now drastically improved for discoverability.
- Zones being forgotten on restart
- Added in ability to have no layout
- Updated interface
- Removed unused dependencies
- Added Lookbehind support via Boost library
You can download the app from its Releases page on GitHub:
As of now, Windows 10 PowerToys include the following apps.
- [a work-in-progress] Screen Recoder - The new tool will allow the user to record an app of a screen portion, and save the recording to a file . It will include an option to create a GIF animation from what the user captured. Some other features include the ability to trim the capture, and set video/GIF quality.
- Video Conference Mute tool - an experimental tool that allows muting both audio and video on your computer with a single keystroke or click.
- ColorPicker - a simple and quick system-wide color picker that allows you to get the color value at any point of what you see on the screen.
- PowerRename - a tool that is intended to help you rename a large number of files using various naming conditions like search and replace a portion of the file name, define regular expressions, change letter case, and more. PowerRename is implemented as a shell extension for File Explorer (read plugin). It opens a dialog box with a bunch of options.
- FancyZones - FancyZones is a window manager that is designed to make it easy to arrange and snap windows into efficient layouts for your workflow, and also to restore these layouts quickly. FancyZones allows the user to define a set of window locations for a desktop that are drag targets for windows. When the user drags a window into a zone, the window is resized and repositioned to fill that zone.
- Windows key shortcut guide - The Windows key shortcut guide is a full screen overlay utility that provides a dynamic set of Windows key shortcuts that are applicable for the given desktop and currently active window. When the Windows key is held down for one second, (this time can be tuned in settings), an overlay appears on the desktop showing all available Windows key shortcuts and what action those shortcuts will take given the current state of the desktop and active window. If the Windows key continues to be held down after a shortcut is issued, the overlay will remain up and show the new state of the active window.
- Image Resizer, a Windows Shell Extension for quickly resizing images.
- File Explorer - a set of addons for File Explorer. Currently includes two Preview Pane additions to show contents of *.MD and *.SVG files.
- Window Walker is an app that lets you search and switch between windows that you have open, all from the comfort of your keyboard.
- PowerToys Run, provides a new Run command with extra options like quick search for apps, files, and docs. It supports extensions to get features like a calculator, dictionaries, nd online search engines.
- Keyboard Manager is a tool that allows remapping any key to a different function. It can be configured in the main PowerToys dialog.
It allows you to remap a single key, or a key sequence (shortcut).
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: