The PowerShell team has introduced a new preview version of PowerShell. Here is what to expect in the upcoming PowerShell 7.1 platform, and what has already changed in Preview 6.
The preview release of PowerShell 7.1 includes .NET 5 preview 1. Starting with PowerShell 7.0, devs have shifted to align with .NET’s release and support life-cycle more closely. PowerShell 7.1 is expected to become available within a week or two of .NET 5’s release date of winter 2020 and align with their annual release cadence going forward.
What's new in PowerShell 7.1 Preview 6
Get-Dateto allow Unix time input (#13084) (Thanks @aetos382!)
stderroutput of native commands (#13361)
- Allow explicitly specified named parameter to supersede the same one from hashtable splatting (#13162)
Engine Updates and Fixes
- Refactor command line parser to do early parsing (#11482) (Thanks @iSazonov!)
- Add support for some .NET intrinsic type converters (#12580) (Thanks @iSazonov!)
- Refresh and enable the
ComInteropcode in PowerShell (#13304)
General Cmdlet Updates and Fixes
- Fix error message from new symbolic link missing target (#13085) (Thanks @yecril71pl!)
- Make the parameter
argsnon-nullable in the public
- Add missing dispose for
CancellationTokenSource(#13420) (Thanks @Youssef1313!)
- Add the parameter
Get-Helpto support paging (#13374)
Get-Helpnot properly displaying if parameter supports wildcards (#13353) (Thanks @ThomasNieto!)
-InputFormatparameter (#13355) (Thanks @sethvs!)
- Declare MIT license for files copied from Roslyn (#13305) (Thanks @xtqqczze!)
BigIntegercasting behaviors (#12629) (Thanks @vexx32!)
Get-Acl -LiteralPath "HKLM:Software\Classes\*"behavior (#13107) (Thanks @Shriram0908!)
DefaultVisitmethod to the visitor interface and class (#13258)
- Fix conflicting shorthand switch
pwsh(#13262) (Thanks @iSazonov!)
Read-Host -MaskInputto use existing
SecureStringpath, but return as plain text (#13256)
ComEnumeratoras COM objects using
IEnumeratoris now supported in .NET 5.0 (#13259)
- Use temporary personal path at Runspace startup when the 'HOME' environment variable is not defined (#13239)
Invoke-Commandto detect recursive call of the same history entry (#13197)
-inpto fix conflict with
-interactive(#13205) (Thanks @iSazonov!)
- Handle WSL filesystem path when analyze security zone of a file (#13120)
- Make other switches mandatory in
Split-Path(#13150) (Thanks @kvprasoon!)
- New Fluent Design icon for PowerShell 7 (#13100) (Thanks @sarthakmalik!)
Move-Itemto support cross-mount moves on Unix (#13044)
dotnetinstall errors (#13387)
- Increase the timeout of Windows daily build to 90 minutes (#13354)
- Update the
dependabotconfiguration to version 2 (#13230) (Thanks @RDIL!)
Test-XUnitTestResultsfunction (#13270) (Thanks @iSazonov!)
.devcontainerto use nightly docker SDK images (#13128)
Test-Connection -TraceRoutetests as pending (#13310)
What to expect in PowerShell 7.1
- PowerShellGet 3.0
- Secret Management Module, an extensible abstraction layer in PowerShell for interacting with Secrets and Secrets Vaults, will get Linux support.
- PSScriptAnalyzer 2.0 for better user experience with VSCode-PowerShell and PSEditorServices.
- Improvements made to PowerShell Jupyter Kernel
- Improvements made to platyPS vNext, a PowerShell module that devs currently use to convert PowerShell documentation from markdown to updatable-help.
There are also a number of areas where it is possible to make more improvements and changes, including Installation and Updating, Shell Improvements, Interactive User Experience.
Finally, PowerShell may get a minimal setup, that only includes the parts of PowerShell needed for your scripts. Not only would it take less disk space, but more importantly, a minimal set of code means less patching and security attack surface.
You can download it here:
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!