Good news for all Opera users. An update to the developer channel has brought significant changes for the upcoming version of the browser. Opera developer 40.0.2296.0 comes with a built-in RSS reader and also has Chromecast support.
The Opera browser had the built-in RSS reader in Opera 12.x before the company ditched their unique Presto engine and switched to the Chromium/Blink engine instead. For a long time, this feature was not present in the modern Opera.
The RSS reader functionality is built into the "Personal News" feature. To access it, you need to open a new tab and click the News icon. The "News" item can also be found in the menu that appears when you click the button on the top left (Alt+F).
There, under "My sources", click "Add sources". You can enter a custom RSS feed into the text box.
It is clearly not obvious that you can use the search box as an input field for entering an RSS feed address, but that's how it works. Let's not forget that it is a developer release, so things might change before it reaches the stable channel.
- Missing a button to "Remove from my sources" but there's a workaround: Go to +Add sources paste the same URL and uncheck it.
- When combined with other sources, the article's age is not taken properly into account and the timeline gets messed up.
- The URL is displayed instead of the RSS title (header and sidebar).
Opera developers are going to resolve these issues in the next few releases.
Another new feature of Opera 40.0.2296.0 is the Chromecast feature. When you install the Google Cast extension from the store and have the Chromecast hardware attached to your display, operating in the same Wi-Fi network, your Chromecast device should be detected and casting links to it should work.
Finally, Opera Developer 40.0.2296.0 comes with a 64-bit version. It is marked as an experimental release though.
The opera:about page sometimes freezes the browser.
Download Opera Developer 40.0.2296.0
- Opera developer for Windows
- Opera developer for Windows x64 – experimental
- Opera developer for Mac
- Opera developer for 32-bit Linux – deb file
- Opera developer for 64-bit Linux – deb file
- Opera developer for 32-bit Linux – RPM file
- Opera developer for 64-bit Linux – RPM file
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!