If you remember, Microsoft, when announced its Office app rebranding, had also mentioned new data types for Excel. This has finally happened. The company today announced 100 new data types available in Microsoft Office Excel, starting in version 2007 (Build 13029.20006), currently in BETA for Windows and in the Fast Ring on macOS.
The updated data types include
- Food: calories, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins, nutrients, etc.
- Exercise: exercise types and calories burned.
- Locations: zip codes, economic data, airports, schools, forests,etc.
- Universities: graduation rates, tuition, student body, etc.
- Chemistry: elements, compounds, and minerals.
- Space: planets, moons, satellites, supernovas, space missions, etc.
- Movies: actors, characters, directors, release dates, poster art,etc.
- And More: music, plants, animal breeds, famous people, languages, etc.
There is also the ability to create your own data type. The official announcement has a sample of the procedure.
Requirements and availability
- Data types requires a Microsoft 365 subscription.
- The new data types are only available to the Consumer audience in English-speaking markets.
- The feature is rolling out to Insiders and will be available to Insider Fast users who are running:
- Windows: Version 2007 (Build 13029.20006).
- Mac: Version 16.40 Build 20062901.
Speaking about this Office release, it is also notable for the ability to create polls in email quickly and easily in Outlook, and search for conference rooms by different capabilities. Microsoft has mentioned a number of fixes included in Excel, PowerPoint, Project, and Word.
Note: Microsoft is releasing this feature to Beta Channel (Windows) and Insiders Fast (Mac) users during June and July. If you don’t see the new data types right now, then they will be available to you soon.