Following Google and its Chrome 98 update, Microsoft updated the Edge browser to the same version 98. The latest version does not contain many new features, but there are some noticeable improvements.
You can learn what is new in Google Chrome 98 in our dedicated post.
What is new in Microsoft Edge 98
- Enhance your security on the web. Edge 98 brings a new browsing mode where the browser prioritizes safety over features and performance. It gives users an extra layer of protection when browsing the Internet.
- Personalize multi-profile experiences with profile preferences for sites. Users can personalize their multi-profile experience with the option to create a customized list of sites for automatic profile switching in Microsoft Edge.
- Edge 100. Microsoft Edge will soon move to version 100, which means site owners can test the upcoming change in the User-Agent string by enabling the edge://flags#force-major-version-to-100 flag to ensure their User-Agent parsing logic is robust and works as expected.
- New overlay scroll bars. Microsoft has updated scrollbars with an overlay-based design. You can enable new scrollbars on the edge://flags page.
- Deprecate WebRTC's Plan B SDP semantics. This change deprecates a legacy Session Description Protocol (SDP) dialect called Plan B. The Unified Plan replaces the old SDP format with a spec-compliant and cross-browser-compatible SDP format.
Microsoft Edge will automatically download and install available updates next time you launch the browser. Alternatively, you can force-update Edge by navigating to edge://settings/help.
The next feature update for Microsoft Edge, version 99, is on track to arrive on the week of March 3, 2022. Edge 99 is currently available in the Dev and Canary channels. The Beta channel will receive this version next week.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!