A new pre-release build of the Edge browser is now available in the Dev channel. Microsoft Edge 96.0.1043.1 is out with a number of new features. It is notable for bringing the Share support to Windows 7, the Picture in Picture feature, new Group policies, and more. Here are the changes.
What's new in Microsoft Edge 96.0.1043.1
- Added Share support to Windows 7.
- Enabled Picture in Picture support on Windows.
- Finished rolling out the ability to search the web for an image in the sidebar from the context menu.
- Management policies (note that updates to documentation or administrative templates may not have occurred yet):
- Added a policy to control if the Typosquatting Checker is Enabled, which is a feature that warns if the website being navigated to isn’t the one that was intended because the address was mistyped.
- Added a policy to control if Renderer App Container support is Enabled, which controls if tab processes are created with extra security.
- Added a policy to control if Application Guard Upload Blocking in Enabled, which controls if files are allowed to be uploaded from Application Guard window.
- Added a policy to control when Efficiency Mode is active.
- Added a policy to control if the New SmartScreen Library is Enabled, which will be deprecated and removed along with the legacy SmartScreen library.
- Added a policy to control if Shared Links are Enabled, which controls access to the list in History of links shared by or to the user from other Microsoft 365 apps.
- Added a policy to configure Force Sync Types, which determines which types of data are required to be synced.
- Fixed an issue where using a to draw on a touchscreen sometimes causes a Blue Screen of Death.
- Fixed a crash when autofilling payment card info.
- Fixed an issue where new tabs sometimes immediately crash as soon as they’re opened.
- Fixed an issue where certain shopping websites crash or are blank.
- Fixed a crash when closing the last window in a profile.
- Fixed a crash on launch if a Guest window was the last window closed during the previous session.
- Fixed a crash on startup after taking a major update.
- Fixed a crash on launch on mobile.
- Fixed a crash on Android 12.
The official change log lists more fixes, and a number of known issues.
Download Microsoft Edge Dev
The Chromium-based Microsoft Edge Dev is available for download on the official Edge Insider website. Existing users will receive the update automatically in coming hours. If you want to speed up the process, then open Settings (Alt + F) > Help > About Microsoft Edge in the menu to force it check for updates and fetch the actual version.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!