Microsoft Edge 90 joins the Chrome 90 release party, and brings Kids Mode and Password Monitor to all users in the stable branch. Here are the key changes in this release.
What's new in Edge 90
This mode will make Edge more attractive to children, will ensure they are safe on the Internet and visit only approved websites. It is primarily focused on children between the age of 5-12 years.
When enabled, Kids Mode will apply unique themes for children and turn on Bing SafeSearch. It will also block all the websites except those marked by Microsoft as "kids-friendly" or predefined by parents or caregivers. Kids Mode comes with a list of 70 kid-safe websites, but you can add or remove sites of your choice. Kids Mode is available from the profile selection menu, and you will be able to configure it using the Family settings in Microsoft Edge. There is a detailed blog post about this feature.
The Password Monitor feature is intended to check if the passwords you use are weak or already compromised. It will check your passwords against a collection of compromised accounts. Microsoft Edge will inform you if it finds your credentials in the breach database, and will also help you change the password for sites where you use the same username and password pair. You can also manually scan for compromised passwords in Microsoft Edge.
- Starting with Microsoft Edge version 90, the print settings UI will only allow to select printers and “Print to PDF” options in Kiosk mode.
- Improvements made to the assigned access single app kiosk mode to restrict the launch of other applications from the browser.
- Autofill suggestions are extended to include address fields content from clipboard.
- Users can search for autofill suggestions even if a form or field isn’t detected.
- Downloads will auto-open as a flyout in the top-right corner with all the active downloads in one place. You can disable this behavior at any moment by following these instructions: Show or Hide Downloads Menu When Download Starts in Microsoft Edge.
- New Group Policy options.
Download Microsoft Edge
If you are an existing Edge user, all you need to do is to wait until the update will be received automatically in your operating system. You can also manually trigger the update process by opening Help > About Microsoft Edge from the browser's menu.
You can also download it manually from the official web site.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!