Microsoft Defender can cause black screen after login, prevent Word from starting, and several more issues, including high memory usage on Windows 10 version 20H2. If you are affected by these issues, running the signature update and reboot may help you.
The German website BornCity reports that this unusual Defender behavior was first spotted in early April 2022. There affected systems by that time were Windows Servers with Microsoft Defender for Endpoint.
By that time, a signature update resolved the issue. It reduced the signature database file size which was quite large. A smaller file eliminated the bug.
However, it now appears that the full suite of those issues is affecting regular client versions of Windows 10, specially 20H2.
- Black screen after login (2 minutes and longer) and goes away at some
- Word is not opening or takes a very long time
- Event viewer seem stuck loading events (remote and local)
- The diagnostic performance log shows indicate very long startup times
So, it can be just a bug in Microsoft Defender. As figured by the source, the following sequence will work as a temporary workaround.
Fix black screen after login on Windows 10 20H2
- Open PowerShell.
- Even there is no signature update for Windows Defender, this should fix most of the issues.
Finally, restarting Windows 10 will free up the hardware resources captured by Defender (via BornCity).
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!