In Windows 10, there is a simple trick which will allow you to make the taskbar more clean and transparent than its default appearance. If you wish to have a more glassy taskbar, follow the instructions in this article.
- Open the Settings app.
- Go to Personalization -> Colors.
- There, you will find the switch named Make Start, taskbar, and Action Center transparent. It is turned off by default. Turn it on:
Once this is done, you can adjust the taskbar transparency level in Windows 10.
How to increase the taskbar transparency level in Windows 10
To increase the taskbar transparency level in Windows 10, you need to apply a simple Registry tweak as described below:
- Open Registry Editor.
- Go to the following Registry key:
Tip: See how to jump to the desired Registry key with one click.
If you don't have such a key, then just create it.
- Create a new DWORD value named UseOLEDTaskbarTransparency and set its value data as 1. See the following screenshot:
- Now, navigate to
- Create or modify a DWORD value
ForceEffectMode. Set its data to 1.
- Now restart Explorer or sign out and sign in back in your Windows account.
That's it. To restore the default values, just delete the UseOLEDTaskbarTransparency value that you created and restart Explorer.
As of this writing, this trick works in all Windows 10 builds from Windows 10 RTM build 10240 to the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview build 14291.
I prepared ready-to-use Registry files, so you can avoid Registry editing:
Alternatively, you can use Winaero Tweaker to save your time:Get it here: Download Winaero Tweaker.