Updates for Xbox controllers are not that frequent when compared to software updates for Windows or Xbox. Still, sometimes, Microsoft releases new firmware to improve connectivity, fix bugs, or even add new features to existing hardware. For example, Microsoft plans to add Bluetooth Low Energy for reduced latency and multi-device support to existing Xbox Wireless Controllers with Bluetooth. To get those features, you need to update firmware on Xbox Wireless Controller.
On Xbox, updating firmware for gamepads is simple. The console can show you a notification about new updates available, or you can go to Settings > Device & Streaming > Accessories and install available updates there. Although Xbox Wireless Controllers work with Windows 10 and Windows 11 natively, installing updates is less apparent. This article will show you how to update Xbox Wireless Controller on a Windows 10 or 11 PC.
To update firmware on your Xbox gamepad, you need to download the Xbox Accessories app from the Microsoft Store using this link. Once downloaded, do the following.
Update firmware on Xbox gamepad on Windows 10 or 11
- Launch the Xbox Accessories App, then connect your gamepad to the PC using a MicroUSB cable. Note that you cannot update firmware on Windows 10 or 11 wirelessly.
- In the list of devices, find your gamepad, then click the button with three dots.
- Look at the firmware version number in the upper-left corner of the screen, then click the first button. It might show the "No update available" message.
- On the next screen, click the "Continue" button. Do not touch your controller during the update process to avoid accidental disconnection of the cable. Also, if you have additional accessories connected to the gamepad, leave them plugged in and do not remove them.
- Wait for Windows to update the firmware in your Xbox Wireless Controller.
- Once finished, connect the controller to a computer using Bluetooth, Xbox Wireless, or a USB cable.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: