How to Uninstall and Remove Microsoft Edge Browser in Windows 10
In Windows 10, Microsoft introduced a new browser called Microsoft Edge. It was created to replace Internet Explorer. Edge is positioned as a modern browser with support of all mainstream web standards. Microsoft implemented a new rendering engine for the browser, which stripped out a lot of legacy code. However, for many users, Microsoft Edge is not at all impressive. Its user interface is less configurable at all compared to Internet Explorer's rich options. Many users want to remove Microsoft Edge from Windows 10. Today, I would like to share how it can be done.
Microsoft Edge is now a Chromium-based browser with a number of exclusive features like Read Aloud and services tied to Microsoft instead of Google. The browser has already received a few updates, with support for ARM64 devices. Also, Microsoft Edge is still supporting a number of aging Windows versions, including Windows 7. Finally, interested users can download MSI installers for deployment and customization.
Note: Once installed, it replaces the classic Edge and hides it from the app list. Check out how to have them installed side-by-side.
In this post, we will see how to uninstall and remove the Microsoft Edge browser in Windows 10, both its Chromium and Legacy versions.
We will start with the Chromium-based one.
To Uninstall and Remove Microsoft Edge Browser in Windows 10
- Open File Explorer.
- Navigate to the following folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application.
- There, you will find a subfolder that matches the current version of the installed Edge browser, e.g.
- Under it, you will find the
83.0.478.58\Installer, which contains the
- Click on the address bar of File Explorer, type
cmd.exeand hit the
Enterkey to open the command prompt in the current folder.
- Enter the following command and hit Enter:
setup.exe --uninstall --system-level --verbose-logging --force-uninstall.
You are done. The Microsoft Edge browser is now uninstalled.
If you need to remove the legacy app, follow the below instructions.
Uninstall and remove the Edge legacy browser (EdgeHTML)
Like any built-in Windows apps, Microsoft Edge has no option to get rid of it. To uninstall and remove the Edge browser in Windows 10, we need to refer to a third party tool. Follow the intructions below.
- Download the Uninstall Edge ZIP file I made to make it easy.
- Extract all files from the ZIP archive you downloaded to any desired folder, e.g. Desktop.
- Right click the Uninstall Edge.cmd file and select "Run as Administrator".
- Wait till the process is done.
- Restart Windows 10.
- Now, set your favorite browser as the default. For example, to set Firefox as the default, refer to this article: How to set Firefox as the default browser in Windows 10.
Behind this trick is an application called WIMTweak which manages Windows Packages and allows you to hide/unhide them from the Windows image (WIM) file. It works on offline images as well as online. WIMTweak was created by MSFN user Legolash2o, so credits for this awesome tool go to him.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!