Here is how you can set an animated user profile image in Windows 10 and Windows 11. For example, you can set to a video. While Microsoft officially does not allow using videos or animations as profile images, a simple trick can bypass that limitation.
Before you set a video as a profile image in Windows 10 and Windows 11, note that the file should not exceed 3MB.
Also, you need an MP4 file. While Windows 10 and Windows 11 allow using GIF files as profile images, the picture remains still without animation. You can use free online converters to transform GIF into MP4, such as CloudConvert.
Note: Because Windows 10 and Windows 11 officially do not support videos as profile images, you will spot one weird bug. Operating systems will use a square profile image on the lock screen instead of a rounded one.
The following instruction works for local accounts and Microsoft accounts.
Set Animated User Profile Image in Windows 10
- Open Windows Settings from the Start menu or using the Win + I shortcut.
- Go to Accounts > Your Info.
- Click the Browse for one button.
- Windows will open a new File Explorer window. Go to the folder with a video you want to set as a profile image in Windows 10.
- Click the File name field and enter the exact file name with its extension, for example, "my user pic.mp4". Windows will show your file in the drop-down menu. Select the file, then click Choose Picture.
That is how you set a video as a profile picture in Windows 10.
The same idea applies to Windows 11 but with a slightly different settings UI.
Set a video as a user image in Windows 11
- Open Windows Settings. You can use the Start menu, Windows Search, or the Win + I hotkey.
- Go to the Accounts section and click Your Info.
- Find the Choose a file section and click Browse Files.
- Open the folder with the video you want to set as a profile image in Windows 11.
- Click the File name field and enter the exact file name you need. Select it from the drop-down list, then click Choose Picture.
That is it. Now you know how to set a video as a profile image in Windows 11.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: