In Windows 11, you can change the touch keyboard size and theme. Microsoft significantly reworked the touch keyboard in the latest OS. It now comes with a new design and a bunch of customization options. You can change its size and create custom themes similar to how keyboards work on Android and iOS. Here is how to change touch keyboard size and create custom themes in Windows 11.
Tip: Windows 11 automatically puts the touch keyboard button in the tray area on computers with a touch screen. If you want to delete or add that button manually, go to Windows Settings > Personalization > Taskbar and turn on or off the Touch keyboard toggle for what you want.
For some reason, Microsoft removed the option to add or remove the touch keyboard button from the context menu.
Change touch keyboard size in Windows 11
- Open the keyboard and find a small cog in the upper-left corner.
- Click Theme and Resize.
- Alternatively, expand open Settings > Personalization > Touch Keyboard.
- Find the Keyboard size slider and drag it to the left or right. If you keep the touch keyboard on the screen, you will see changes immediately.
- Alternatively, you can scroll down and click the Preview changes button.
Change the text size for the touch keyboard
Apart from resizing the keyboard, you can change key text size if you find it too small or too big.
- Go to Windows Settings > Personalization > Touch Keyboard.
- Scroll down and find the Key Text Size section.
- Select one of the three options: small, medium, or large.
- Click the Open keyboard button under View your changes to see your customizations in action.
Change Windows 11 Touch Keyboard Theme
If you want to personalize the touch keyboard, Microsoft allows swapping a somewhat boring white/black background for an image or another color. Here is how to set a custom theme for the touch keyboard in Windows 11.
To change the touch keyboard theme in Windows 11, do the following.
- Open the touch keyboard and click the settings icon in the upper-left corner.
- Select Theme and resize. You can also get there by opening Windows Settings > Personalization > Touch keyboard.
- Find the Keyboard Theme section.
- Here you can find one of pre-built themes or create a custom one. To create a custom theme for the touch keyboard in Windows 11, scroll down and click the Custom theme option.
- Select Edit.
- On the next screen, you can personalize each part of the touch keyboard in Windows 11. Begin with the Text tab to change the color of the text on buttons and suggestions. Select one of the preset colors or create a custom one using the Choose another option.
- You can change key transparency and key background color on the touch keyboard in Windows 11 on the Keys tab.
- Finally, go to the Window tab to set a picture as your touch keyboard background in Windows 11. Select Picture from the Personalize your background drop-down list.
- Click Choose your Picture and select the image you want to use as a background for the touch keyboard in Windows 11.
- Next, you can adjust fit and background brightness to make the keyboard more convenient to use. Decreasing the background brightness will make buttons easier to read.
- Click Save. If you do not like the mess you have just made, click the Reset button and start over.
That is how you customize the touch keyboard in Windows 11.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!