Here is how you can change the screen resolution in Windows 11 using various methods. Changing the screen resolution will let you use your monitor with optimal settings to ensure a clear and sharp image.
Keep in mind that available screen resolutions depend on your GPU (less powerful graphics cards do not support high screen resolution) and monitor. You can set lower than supported screen resolution, but you cannot set higher than native resolution.
For example, do not enable 4K on a FullHD monitor. Technically it is possible to set a higher resolution, but it will not give you the needed result.
Change screen resolution in Windows 11
To adjust the screen resolution, you can use the Settings app, Control Panel, apps from your GPU manufacturer, and third-party tools. Let's review all these methods in detail. We will start with the Settings app.
Change screen resolution with the Settings app
To change the screen resolution in Windows 11, do the following.
- Right-click the Start menu button and select Settings. Alternatively, press Win + I to open the Settings app.
- Open the System section and click Display.
- Scroll down and find the Scale & layout section.
- Select a new display resolution in the Display resolution drop-down list.
- Click the Keep changes button to save the new screen resolution. If you do not like how it looks, click the Revert button.
You are done!
Note: Windows 11 will automatically revert changes after 15 seconds of inactivity. That is a failsafe system for scenarios when the user sets an incorrect screen resolution that puts UI elements off-screen.
Tip: Make sure you have installed a GPU driver for your computer. A missing or incorrect GPU driver is the most popular reason why users cannot get the native display resolution in Windows 11.
Another way to change the display resolution in Windows 11 is by using the classic Control Panel.
Change screen resolution in Windows 11 in Display adapter properties
- Launch the Windows Settings app by pressing the Win + I shortcut.
- Go to System > Display.
- Scroll down and click the Advanced display button.
- Click the Display adapter properties link. Tip: If you use more than one monitor, select the monitor you need from a drop-down list at the top of the window.
- Windows will open a window with your GPU properties from the classic Control Panel. Click the List All Modes button.
- Select a new resolution in the next dialog. Note that Windows lists a single resolution several times with different refresh rates. Make sure you pick the right one.
- Click OK to save your changes.
Finally, you can change the screen resolution in Windows 11 using control panels from your GPU manufacturers, such as AMD, Nvidia, and Intel. We need to note that you probably should not bother changing the screen resolution using the following methods unless you want to create a custom resolution or mess with advanced screen settings.
Here is how to select a new screen resolution in Windows 11 using AMD Radeon Software.
Adjust screen resolution with the AMD Radeon Software
- Open Radeon Software and go to the Display tab.
- If you use more than one monitor, select the one you need.
- Find the Custom resolutions section and expand it.
- Click the Read & Accept the EULA.
- Click the Create New button.
- Set a new display resolution using the "Resolution (Px)" input fields. If you do not understand the meaning of all the other parameters, leave them as is (and you probably need to go back to the previous two parts of this article).
- Click Create.
Using the Intel Control Panel app
- Launch Intel Control Panel and click the button with a monitor rectangle.
- Click the button with the plus icon next to your current screen resolution.
- Accept the EULA by clicking the Okay button.
- Enter a new screen resolution into the Width and Height fields. Leave other parameters default if you do not understand their meaning.
- Click the Okay button to apply the new screen resolution.
Adjust the screen resolution using NVIDIA Control Panel
- Launch the NVIDIA Control Panel.
- On the left, click the Change resolution link under the Display item.
- If you have multiple displays connected, select the one for which you want to change the resolution in the right pane, under Select the display.
- Finally, select the screen resolution you want set under Choose the resolution, and click Apply.
Finally, you can adjust the screen resolution in Windows 11 using a small command-line tool called Qres.
Change the screen resolution in Windows 11 from Command Prompt
- Download Qres from the official website.
- Extract the archive contents to any directory on your drive. Unblock the files.
- Open Command Prompt or Windows Terminal in the folder with the Qres files.
- Enter a command similar to this:
qres x=1366 y=768 f=60. That will set the 1366 x 768 resolution with the 60 Hz refresh rate. Replace the x, y, and f arguments with the values you need.
Qres may not be the most user-friendly app, but you can create a shortcut to change your screen resolution or refresh rate. Besides, it is useful with batch files for automation.
That is how you change the screen resolution in Windows 11.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!