During Build 2019 Microsoft showcased the initial version of the Chromium-based Microsoft Edge web browser.. Its preview versions are still available exclusively to Windows 10 devices, but that should change soon.
At Build 2019 the company has finally revealed the Edge Chromium browser running on Mac. As expected, it doesn't include any new feature built specially for the macOS. Here's a screenshot that demonstrates the software in action.
The Canary and Dev channels for the new browser should go live pretty soon. However, the Redmond software giant didn't name the exact release date. At the moment of this writing, the official web site doesn't provide binaries for macOS.
Also at Build 2019, Microsoft has announced a number of new features Microsoft Edge based on Chromium will receive in the near future. The set includes Internet Explorer mode for backward compatibility, new privacy options, and a brand new Collections feature. Check out them here:
If you cannot wait to try Microsoft Edge on your Mac computer, here is a bit of good news. The famous Windows enthusiast WalkingCat Has managed to find links to the Microsoft Edge for Mac version 188.8.131.52 built in the Canary channel (see the linked tweet). The same app version has been compiled in the Dev channel.
If you decide to go with this version, please keep in mind that it wasn't officially announced yet. Microsoft hasn't officially opened up testing for Mac users, so you may run into issues with this version.
Here is everything you need to know about the new Microsoft Edge browser:
- Microsoft Edge Chromium now installs PWAs in the root of the Start menu
- Enable Translator in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Dynamically Changes Its User Agent
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Warns When Running as Administrator
- Change Search Engine In Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Hide or Show Favorites Bar in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Install Chrome Extensions in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable Dark Mode in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Chrome Features Removed and Replaced by Microsoft in Edge
- Microsoft Released Chromium-based Edge Preview Versions
- Chromium-Based Edge to Support 4K and HD Video Streams
- Microsoft Edge Insider extension now available in Microsoft Store
- Hands-on with the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Insider Addons Page Revealed
- Microsoft Translator is Now Integrated with Microsoft Edge Chromium
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!