If you face this problematic issue in Windows 7 where the operating system does not start in normal mode but starts in Safe mode instead and complains about pending repair operations, this article might help you. When you try to run SFC /scannow, it reports that a system repair is pending and does not proceed. Here is how to revert the pending system repair and continue normal startup mode.
To fix the issue and get rid of the "system repair pending" message, you need to do the following:
You need to use the Windows setup disk with the appropriate architecture - 32-bit or 64-bit depending on which Windows version you have installed. To create a bootable USB disk, see this article: How to create a bootable USB stick to install Windows in Windows 8 or Windows 7
- If you have Windows 7 x86, use Windows 7 x86 setup disk.
- If you have Windows 7 x64, use Windows 7 x64 setup disk.
If you are not able to boot from DVD media, that is, if your PC does not have an optical drive, then you can create a bootable flash drive.
- Boot from the Windows installation disk/USB stick with Windows setup.
- Wait for the "Windows Setup" screen:
- Click next to see the following screen:
- Click the link Repair your computer:
- Windows will scan for the installed operating system. Select your OS in the list and press next:
- In Recovery Options, click Command Prompt:
- At the command prompt, type the following command
DISM /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions
If the command above fails, you might need to replace the disk drive letter from C: to D:. You can run the Notepad app from the command prompt and from its File menu -> Open file dialog, find the appropriate disk letter where your Windows OS is installed:
Wait till the command finishes its work. Once it is done, restart your PC. Now your PC will start in normal mode. That's it.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!