Mozilla today updated the stable branch of the Firefox browser with a new version. Firefox 94 released, bringing much anticipated Colorways themes to everyone. Besides the new themes, there are background updates, improvements to Site Isolation, a Firefox Multi-Account Containers extension with Mozilla VPN integration, and more.
What's new in Firefox 94
If you do not like the default color palette in Firefox, you will be glad to know that Firefox 94 offers you several colorful themes named "Colorways".
You can pick one right on the greetings page after upgrading the browser. Later, you can visit the themes page and pick the one you like. Overall, Firefox 94 offers 18 different "Colorway" themes.
On Windows, the browser will download and install updates in the background when it is not running. there will now be fewer interruptions because Firefox won’t prompt you for updates. Instead, a background agent will download and install updates even if Firefox is closed. You can disable the background updates feature as described here.
Firefox now includes Site Isolation to protect users against side-channel attacks such as Spectre.
Unload tabs without closing them
A new feature in Firefox 94 is the ability to unload tabs on demand. Open a new tab and type
about:unloads into the address bar, then hit Enter.
This will opens the built-in Unloads page. There, you will find an "Upload" button above the list of tabs. The tabs are sorted by the least recently used criteria. Clicking the button will unload one of them.
Once you switch to the unloaded tab, the browser will reload its contents.
- Mozilla is rolling out the Firefox Multi-Account Containers extension with Mozilla VPN integration. This lets you use a different server location for each container. If you are not familiar with Firefox Multi-Account Containers, check out this post.
- On Windows, Firefox no longer warns you by default when you exit the browser or close a window using a menu, button, or three-key command. You can restore the previous behavior and enable exit confirmation in the browser settings.
- Firefox macOS now uses Apple's low power mode for fullscreen video on YouTube and Twitch to extend battery life.
- Finally, Firefox now supports the new Snap Layouts menus when running on Windows 11. No fix required any longer.
You can learn more about the changes by visiting the official website. There you will also find the download links for each supported platform.
For alternative downloads, head over the the following link:
In the file listing, you'll find the following subfolders.
- win32 - Firefox 32-bit for Windows
- win64 - Firefox 64-bit for Windows
- linux-i686 - Firefox for 32-bit Linux
- linux-x86_64 - Firefox for 64-bit Linux
- mac - Firefox for macOS
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!
One thought on “Firefox 94 released with fancy Colorways themes”
Mozilla still failing in an epic way to clearly indicate ACTIVE or FOCUSED tab differently from background tabs.