Mozilla has released Firefox 92 to the stable branch. You won't a lot of new features in this version. Instead, there are performance improvements made to the accessibility tools, security fixes, and a few improvements for Mac users.
What's new in Firefox 92
Here are the most important changes in this release.
First of all, the browser has a reworked accessibility tools functionality. It no longer affects the Firefox performance when used with a screen reader app.
Second, WebRender is now activated on all systems by default. It is enabled on all supported operating systems and device types, including Windows and Android. Earlier, its was only enabled by default on Mac OS X and on some Linux distributions, leaving Windows, the most popular desktop platform, alone in the dark.
How to check if WebRender is enabled for you
- Open a new tab in Firefox.
about:supportin the address bar.
- Scroll the support page down to the Graphics section.
- See the Compositing value. It must be set to WebRender.
An option in about:config, gfx.webrender.software, can be used to enable or disable WebRender. Mozilla plans to deprecate it in Firefox 93, so it will remain permanently enabled.
Automatic updates to HTTPS
After making the HTTPS-First Policy for Private mode enabled by default, Mozilla continues their work in this direction. Firefox 92 comes with the integrated support for auto-switching to HTTPS using HTTPS RR with Alt-Svc headers. Such a header allows a server to indicate that a particular resource should be loaded from a different server — while still appearing to the user as if were loaded from the same server.
Mac OS-specific improvements
- The Share options are now available from the File menu.
- The browser now supports images containing ICC v4 profiles.
- VoiceOver reports buttons and links now have the proper "expanded" state.
- The menus for the Bookmarks toolbar now follow the browser's visual style.
- Video playback now features full-color mode.
- Alerts do not interfere with performance of other tabs running in the same process.
- A new certificate error page.
Download Firefox 92
You can download Firefox 92 from its official web site.
Alternatively, visit the following link:
You will see a number of folders. Click on one of the following folders:
- win32 - Firefox 32-bit for Windows
- win64 - Firefox 64-bit for Windows
- linux-i686 - Firefox for 32-bit Linux
- linux-x86_64 - Firefox for 64-bit Linux
- mac - Firefox for macOS
Each folder has subfolders organized by the browser's language. Click on the desired language and download the installer.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!