In Windows 8, the Start screen is your primary way to launch applications. It replaces the good old Start menu and displays classic shortcuts and modern live tiles. Today, I am going to share hidden tweaks which allow you to enable more advanced Start screen animations. You can set it up so that you see the animation only when you logon to Windows 8, or you can also enable this each time the Start screen is showed.
- Open Registry Editor (Press Win+R on the keyboard and type "regedit.exe" without quotes, press Enter key after all).
- Navigate to the
Tip: You can use this script: How to jump to the desired registry key with one click
- Right click in the right pane and create a new DWORD value called Launcher_SessionLoginAnimation_OnShow. Set it to 1.
- Now press the Win (Windows-logo) key at your keyboard. Enjoy unlocked nice animation every time when you switch to the Start Screen.
A demo video:
The Launcher_SessionLoginAnimation_OnShow value set to 1 is what enables the animation each time the Start screen is shown. If you only wish to see the animation at logon, set this to 0.
There are more parameters. Thanks to MDL user Windows Fan for pointing me to them.
Launcher_SessionLogin_Icon_Offset defines the offset for user picture. The greater the value, the greater is the image's right margin during animation.
Launcher_SessionLogin_IconText_Offset - same as above but for the user name.
Launcher_SessionLogin_IndividualTower_Offset produces the carousel view for tiles and defines the "far" distance of the circle
Launcher_SessionLogin_Tower_Offset defines the close distance.
For example, the following tweak with pre-defined values
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\Grid] "Launcher_SessionLoginAnimation_OnShow"=dword:00000001 "Launcher_SessionLogin_IndividualTower_Offset"=dword:00001388 "Launcher_SessionLogin_Tower_Offset"=dword:00001388 "Launcher_SessionLogin_IconText_Offset"=dword:000003e8 "Launcher_SessionLogin_Icon_Offset"=dword:000003e8
will cause the following animation effect:
Start Screen Animations Tweaker
I have released a tool to control all these registry parameteres. It is Start Screen Animations Tweaker.
With Start Screen Animations Tweaker you will able:
- to change behavior of the user name text slide animation.
- to change behavior of the user picture slide animation.
- to change behavior of Tiles slide animation. It has two options:
- left-to-right animation. Tiles will fly from the "far" left corner into the screen. This reminds me effects from the Solitaire windows game.
- right-to-left animation controls the right position from where Tiles will slide to their regular positions
- to enable animations for every time you visit the Start screen in Windows 8, not only at login.
For those who prefer ready-made registry files:
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!