Microsoft today released a new Dev build of the Edge browser. In short, it comes with a new Extensions button enabled by default, adds the ability to pin the Edge bar (formerly Edge widget) to any side of the screen, and a number of new policies. You can also set it as your default XML handler app. Here are some details.
- Added the ability to pin the Edge bar to either side of the screen.
- Enabled the Extensions menu by default. Note that this has also been enabled in version 96, which is currently in Beta.
- Added the ability for the browser to register as a handler for XML files in the OS settings.
- Management policies (note that updates to documentation and administrative templates may not have occurred yet):
- Added a management policy to control if Edge Discover is Enabled, which controls if Bing is allowed to search in the background for content related to the current page.
- Enabled support for management policies from Chromium to control Screen Capture in more granular ways: by setting Screen Capture Allowed By Origins, Window Capture Allowed By Origins, Tab Capture Allowed By Origins, and Same Origin Tab Capture Allowed By Origins.
- Enabled support for management policies from Chromium to set Serial Allow All Ports For Urls and Serial Allow Usb Devices For Urls.
- Added an experimental API to WebView2 apps to allow any website to be displayed in an iframe.
- Fixed an issue where the browser won’t open.
- Fixed a crash when interacting with the address bar.
- Fixed an issue where PWAs randomly close.
- Fixed a crash when installing a PWA.
- Fixed a crash when closing a window.
- Fixed a crash when encountering an error while uploading a payment card to a Microsoft Account.
- Fixed an issue where PDFs sometimes crash when viewed in high contrast mode.
- Fixed a crash when closing an IE mode tab.
- Fixed a crash on Xbox.
- Fixed a crash on Xbox when closing an InPrivate window.
- Fixed a crash on startup on iOS.
- Fixed a crash after signing into a work or school account.
- Fixed a crash when adding a favorite.
- Fixed a crash when changing certain settings.
- Fixed an issue where WebView2 apps sometimes don’t open and show an error that setup.exe cannot be found.
There are also known issues and even more fixes. You can find the appropriate list in the official announcement.
Existing Edge Dev users will get the app update automatically in coming hours. You can always download it manually from the official website.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!