Microsoft has released the Edge browser version 86.0.615.3 to the Dev channel. This update brings a ton of new features, including highlighting text in PDF using a pen tool, Collections improvements, secure DNS, and much more.
What's new in Edge Dev 86.0.615.3
- Added the ability to use a pen to highlight PDFs.
- Added a setting for using a secure DNS.
- Added the ability to get suggestions for Collections from Pinterest and to export Collections to Pinterest.
- Added the ability to sort items in a Collection by name.
- Added a Paste option to a Collection’s … menu.
- Added support for creating a video reproduction of an issue when submitting feedback.
- Enabled support for the Default Serial Guard Setting management policy from Chromium.
- Enabled support for the Serial Ask For Urls management policy from Chromium.
- Enabled support for the Serial Blocked For Urls management policy from Chromium.
- Fixed an issue where popups such as the Translation or Sign In popup sometimes crash the browser when they’re closed or dismissed.
- Fixed an issue where opening certain links from the New Tab Page in a new InPrivate window crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where uninstalling a website installed as an app sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where an Edge hang sometimes causes the entire device to hang.
- Fixed an issue where Edge Insider channels can’t be uninstalled.
- Fixed an issue where browsing data is not deleted when windows for a specific profile are closed (instead, it’s only deleted if all windows are closed) if the option to automatically delete it is enabled and there are windows for another profile that remain open.
- Fixed an issue where certain websites like Discord don’t load.
- Fixed an issue where websites installed as apps sometimes open in regular tabs instead of their own tab-less windows.
- Fixed an issue where usernames are incorrectly identified as non-username fields or vice versa in autofill suggestion popups.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where the video Touchbar sometimes appears on pages without videos.
- Fixed an issue where refreshing a page after it’s been translated prevents it from being translated again.
- Fixed an issue where there is sometimes no dialog confirming that caret browsing mode is being turned off.
- Fixed an issue where clicking a link in a PDF that’s supposed to scroll it to a different location in the PDF doesn’t scroll it to the correct location.
- Fixed an issue where the Autofill popup sometimes doesn’t display completely.
- Fixed an issue where Guest windows are sometimes incorrectly detected as InPrivate windows.
- Fixed an issue where Read Aloud sometimes highlighted the wrong words when reading PDFs.
- Fixed an issue where exiting fullscreen sometimes causes the Tab band to become all black.
- Fixed an issue where certain context menu icons, such as for “Move tab to another window”, are missing.
- Mac users running the OS 11 preview (Big Sur) may have issues with all versions of Edge either crashing or not launching to begin with. We’ve identified the issue and are working to get it resolved before Big Sur is officially released.
- Users with certain hardware are seeing changes in scrolling behavior that are unintended. For example, pages scroll much faster than they used to. We’re currently investigating.
- Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube. As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed. See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/known-issue-adblock-causing-errors-on-youtube/m-p/14... for more details.
- Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error. The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it.
- Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load. This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed.
- Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before. Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available. However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for some of the fixes we’ve made to come to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator.
- After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black. Opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it. Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware and is most easily triggered by resizing an Edge window. For users with discrete GPUs, updating graphics drivers may help.
- Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other. Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices. This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag.
- There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it. In another, restarting the browser fixes it.
Actual Edge Versions
- Stable Channel: 84.0.522.63
- Beta Channel: 85.0.564.41
- Dev Channel: 86.0.615.3
- Canary Channel: 86.0.620.0
Download Microsoft Edge
You can download pre-release Edge version for Insiders from here:
Download Microsoft Edge Insider Preview
The stable version of the browser is available on the following page:
Download Microsoft Edge Stable
Note: Microsoft has started delivering Microsoft Edge to users of Windows via Windows Update. The update is provisioned for users of Windows 10 version 1803 and above, and replaces the classic Edge app once installed. The browser, when delivered with KB4559309, makes it impossible to uninstall it from Settings. Check out the following workaround: Uninstall Microsoft Edge If Uninstall Button is Grayed O
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!