Microsoft is releasing a new development version of their Chromium-based Edge browser. Version 22.214.171.124 comes with a number of improvements made to the user interface of the browser, along with a list of fixes for PC and Mac.
The change log for Microsoft Edge Chromium 126.96.36.199 includes the following highlights.
- Added a page in Settings to choose your desired New Tab Page layout.
- Added an option in the Help and Feedback menu to report an unsafe website.
- Multiple tabs can now be selected using the keyboard’s ctrl and space keys.
- Added dark theme to the Send Feedback dialog.
- Added a separator between the active tab and the rest of the tabs when the color of the tab band makes it difficult to tell the difference between the active tab and the rest of the tabs.
- Updated the color of windows when they’re inactive.
Fixes and improvements
- Fixed an issue where opening Settings as a guest crashes the browser.
Fixed an issue where opening DevTools in InPrivate sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where the loading spinner and the tab icon existed at the same time.
- Fixed a crash when using Read Aloud.
- Fixed an issue where certain webpages with videos would crash.
- Fixed an issue where favorites sometimes get deleted if the first run experience is interrupted.
- Fixed some strings that weren’t translated.
- Fixed an issue where installed websites can’t be uninstalled from Windows Settings.
- Fixed an issue where DevTools extensions weren’t appearing in the list of DevTools extensions.
- Fixed an issue where sync sometimes wouldn’t work when using a VPN.
- Fixed an issue where files shown on the downloads page used a generic icon instead of the file’s own icon.
Mac version fixes
- Fixed an issue where clicking the Restart App button when installing an update doesn’t open the browser again.
- Fixed an issue where context menus sometimes aren’t shown.
- Fixed an issue where the text for the keyboard shortcut to open Downloads is different depending on where it is seen.
- Fixed an issue where the prompt to enter keychain credentials is unexpectedly seen after installing a new build.
The Mac version of Edge doesn't support the IE Mode feature. Microsoft is also working on features exlcusive to MacOS, including support for the Touch Bar hardware available in modern Apple laptops.
At the moment of this writing, Edge versions are as follows:
- Beta Channel: 188.8.131.52
- Dev Channel: 184.108.40.206
- Canary Channel: 220.127.116.11
The browser installs updates automatically. Also, you can manually check for updates by visiting the menu Help > About Microsoft Edge. Finally, you can grab the Edge installer from the following page:
Download Microsoft Edge Preview
I have covered many Edge tricks and features in the following post:
Hands-on with the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge
Also, see the following updates.
- Show Icon Only for Bookmark in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Autoplay Video Blocker is coming to Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium is Receiving New Tab Page Customization Options
- Enable Microsoft Search in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Grammar Tools Are Now Available in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Follows System Dark Theme
- Here’s how Microsoft Edge Chromium looks on macOS
- Microsoft Edge Chromium now installs PWAs in the root of the Start menu
- Enable Translator in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Dynamically Changes Its User Agent
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Warns When Running as Administrator
- Change Search Engine In Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Hide or Show Favorites Bar in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Install Chrome Extensions in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable Dark Mode in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Chrome Features Removed and Replaced by Microsoft in Edge
- Microsoft Released Chromium-based Edge Preview Versions
- Chromium-Based Edge to Support 4K and HD Video Streams
- Microsoft Edge Insider extension now available in Microsoft Store
- Hands-on with the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Insider Addons Page Revealed
- Microsoft Translator is Now Integrated with Microsoft Edge Chromium
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: