Windows 10 Creators Update version 1703 brought yet another change to Windows 10's UI. There is a new app called Windows Defender Security Center. It has been created to help the user control his security and privacy settings in a clear and useful way. Many users would like to disable it. Here is how.
Before you proceed, here is what you need to know. Don't be confused between Windows Defender and Windows Defender Security Center. Windows Defender is the built-in anti-virus software which provides real-time protection against threats. The Windows Defender Security Center app is just a dashboard which allows you to track your protection state. It can be used to configure various security options like SmartScreen. It shows an icon in the system tray. In most cases and for many users, it might be enough to disable Windows Defender and/or remove the Defender Security Center app's tray icon. If this is not enough for you, here is how you can disable it.
To Disable Windows Defender Security Center, do the following.
- Download the portable app ExecTI and unpack it to any folder you like: Download ExecTI.
- Unblock the downloaded file.
- Using ExecTI, run the "regedit.exe" app. See the screenshot below. This will open a new instance of the Registry editor app running with TrustedInstaller permissions, so it will allow you to modify the required Registry key.
- Go to the following Registry key:
- On the right, modify the 32-bit DWORD value named Start. Change its value data from 2 to 4.
This will disable the service SecurityHealthService, which is used by the Windows Defender Security Center.
- Now, restart Windows 10.
Voila, you just disabled Windows Defender Security Center. The service will be disabled too.
Now, you can use the classic Windows Defender app instead of the the Security Center. See Get Classic Windows Defender in Windows 10 Creators Update.
To restore the app, execute the Registry editor from ExecTI again. Go to the key
and modify the Start value from 4 to 2. Restart your computer to re-enable the Windows Defender Security Center app.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: