Cinnamon is Linux Mint's flagship desktop environment. Started as a Gnome fork, now it is fully independent. A new version of Cinnamon is out with features like wildcard support in file searches, file manager (inode/directory MIME handler) selection in Favorite Applications and more. Let's see the key changes done in this release.
Here are the most notable highlights of this release:
- Support for mozjs38 (CJS 3.4 uses mozjs38, CJS 3.2 uses mozjs24, Cinnamon 3.4 is compatible with either CJS 3.4 or CJS 3.2)
- Support for additional Wacom devices (in particular, devices with no erasers or with only one button)
- Multi-process Settings Daemon (each plugin now runs in its own separate process)
- Cleaner session EXIT phase (this phase used to timeout after 1 seconds, it is now immediate)
- Desktop grid
- Separate processes for Nemo and the desktop handling
- Simpler date formats for last-modified column in list-view
- Wildcard support in file searches
- Nemo actions in panel launcher
- Ala Firefox support for middle-click and Ctrl key in Nemo navigation buttons to open new tabs
- Theming engine improvements for systray and margins
- Additional configuration options for the screensaver
- New list widget for spices settings
- More information shown in spices about dialogs
- Support for lightdm-settings and manage-systemd-units in System Settings
- File manager (inode/directory MIME handler) selection in Favorite Applications
- Better support for the configuration of mice acceleration and sensitivity
Cinnamon 3.4 also features a ton of fixes and refinements.
Cinnamon 3.4 will be shipped with Linux Mint 18.2. If you do not want to wait for it, you can try it right now using the following PPA:
Do you like the changes in this release? Have you tried it in action? Tell us in the comments. Source: Segfault.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!