Google is releasing a new version of their Chrome browser. Version 74 is landing on the stable branch, featuring 39 security fixes and a number of improvements and optimizations.
Google Chrome is the most popular web browser which exists for all major platforms like Windows, Android and Linux. It comes with a powerful rendering engine which supports all modern web standards.
Here are the key changes in Chrome 74
- Enabled API WebAssembly Threads and WebAssembly Atomics.
- The CSS media query 'prefers-reduced-motion' has been implemented, so web sites can now detect that animations are disabled on the client side.
- Scroll-To-Text: To enable users to easily navigate to specific content in a web page, Chrome includes support for specifying a text snippet in the URL fragment. When navigating to a URL with such a fragment, the browser will find the first instance of the text snippet in the page and bring it into view. Can be enabled with the
There are a few more interesting options you may like. First of all, you can enable the dark theme in the browser. Please see these articles:
- Enable Dark Mode in Google Chrome on Windows
- Google Chrome Canary Now Follows System Dark Theme in Windows 10
Also, there is a special flag
chrome://flags/#enable-lazy-image-loading that allows a browser to defer loading offscreen images and iframes until users scroll near them. Enable the mentioned flag and restart the browser.
Note: The offline installer doesn't support the automatic update feature of Chrome. By installing it this way, you will be forced to always update your browser manually.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: