Recently, the team behind the popular Firefox browser released a new version of the product. Firefox 61 is now available with a number of improvements and new features. One of the new features of the browser is a set of options related to the new tab page and home page. Here's how to use them.
Firefox 61 represents the branch built with the new Quantum engine. It comes with a refined user interface, codenamed "Photon". The browser now comes without support for XUL-based add-ons, so all of the classic add-ons are deprecated and incompatible. See
Thanks to the changes made to the engine and the UI, the browser is blazingly fast. The user interface of the app is more responsive and it also starts up noticeably faster. The engine renders web pages much faster than it ever did in the Gecko era.
Version 61 of Firefox includes a new "Home" page in Settings. It allows changing various options of the New Tab page, including disabling extensions which replace the new tab page. You can add or remove Web Search, Top Sites, Highlights, and more. Also, here you can specify the desired home page.
To change the home page in Mozilla Firefox, do the following.
- Click on the hamburger button to open the menu.
- Select the Options item from the menu.
- Click on 'Home' of the left.
- On the right, you can set the option Homepage and new windows to Firefox Home (which is a special customizable web page with frequently visited web sites, highlights, and other options), to the blank page, or select the Custom URL(s) option.
- For the Custom URL(s) option, fill in the text box below. Type a single URL, e.g. https://winaero.com, or specify a few URLs separated by I (the vertical bar character). For example, you can enter
https://www.google.com|https://winaero.com|https://winaero.com/blog/, and so on. The URLs you have specified will open next time you start the browser or press the Home button.
- There are buttons 'Use Current Page' and 'Use Bookmark'. The first one will add all opened web sites and document to your home page URLs. The second one allows adding a bookmark to your home pages. You may find them useful.
Tip: There is a lesser known feature in Firefox. You can change your home page by dragging an URL from the address bar and dropping it onto the Home button on the toolbar. A confirmation will appear.
Click Yes and you are done. The home page will be set to the address you have moved.
The same way you can configure the New Tab Page in Firefox. The drop-down list New tabs contains two options, 'Firefox Home' and 'Blank page', which you can use. Similarly to your home page, you can choose Firefox Home and customize it, or set the blank page as your New Tab page.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!