In modern Windows versions, you can assign a custom icon to a folder stored on your drive. In this article we will see how it can be done using File Explorer in Windows 10.
Previously we showed you how to change the folder icon for all folders in Windows 10. Now we will see how to change it just for one specific folder.
Before proceeding, it is worth mentioning that if you change the icon of a folder, it won't show a thumbnail preview of its contents in the large icons view. You will need to restore the default folder icon to get this feature working again.
To change a folder's icon in Windows 10, do the following.
- Open This PC in File Explorer.
- Locate the folder whose icon you wish to customize.
- Right click it and select Properties in the context menu.
- In the Properties window, go to the Customize tab.
- Click on the button Change Icon.
- In the next dialog, pick a new icon and you are done.
Tip: There are plenty of good icons in the following files:
Change the icon of a folder included in a Library
If you right-click a folder inside any Library, you will be surprised to see that there is no Customize tab!
The Customize tab will be hidden. To avoid this limitation, do the following.
To change the icon of a folder included in a Library, do the following.
- Open the desired library.
- Right click the folder and select Open folder location in the context menu.
- The target folder will be re-opened in the Explorer window. Its physical location will be opened, so you can change its icon as described above!
For reference, see the following article: How to change the icon of a folder inside a Library.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: