In Windows 10, the user can specify the default sound input device. Recent versions of the operating systems provide a number of ways to do it, including the Settings app, and the classic Sound applet of the Control Panel.
Windows 10 introduced a new style of items and their panes/flyouts which open from the notification area. All of the applets which open from the system tray are different now. This includes the Date/Time pane, the Action Center, the Network pane and even the volume control. Once you click the sound icon in the system tray, the new volume indicator will appear on the screen.
Note: In a number of situations, the Volume icon can be hidden in the taskbar. Even when you have all the drivers installed, the icon might remain inaccessible. If you are affected by this issue, see the following post:
Tip: It is still possible to restore the good old "classic" sound volume control.
Refer to the following article:
The default sound input device is the device that the operating system uses to record or hear sounds. If you have connected several audio devices to your PC or laptop, such as microphones, a web camera with a built-in microphone, a Bluetooth headset, it is possible to specify which device to use by default for audio input. Let's see how it can be done.
To change Default Sound Input Device in Windows 10, do the following.
- Open the Settings app.
- Go to System -> Sound.
- On the right, go to the section Choose your input device and select the desired device in the drop-down list.
Windows 10 will switch the audio input device instantly.
Alternatively, you can use the classic Sound applet, as described below.
Change Default Sound Input Device using Sound Dialog
Tip: To save your time, you can open the classic Sound dialog using the following command:
rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL mmsys.cpl,,1
Refer to the next article:
Then do the following.
- Open the classic Control Panel app.
- Navigate to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Sound.
- On the Recording tab of the sound dialog, select the desired input device from the list of available devices.
- Click on the Set default button.
- How to Change Default Audio Device in Windows 10
- Set Audio Output Device For Apps Individually in Windows 10
- How to Enable Mono Audio in Windows 10