I am happy to announce a new version of my app. Winaero Tweaker 0.17 is here with a number of fixes and new (I hope) useful features.
Fixes in this release
- Spotlight image grabber now displays the preview pictures again.
- 'Disable thumbnails' for the taskbar is now fixed, it finally works.
- Fixed 'Increase taskbar transparency' which has stopped working in 1903 or so.
- Fixed 3 day task termination for the 'Elevated Shortcut' feature. I was very surprised to get such a bug report, had no idea that someone has elevated tasks running for days.
- A fix for the 'Telemetry' option which could leave the service disabled if you decided to re-enable this Windows 10 feature.
- The 'Disable Defender' feature now warns you about 'Tamper Protection'. If Tamper Protection is enabled, Windows Defender won't allow third-party apps to change its settings. If you need to disable Defender, you must disable Tamper Protection first.
- I no longer compile Winaero Tweaker with .NET 3.5. This change only affects some of Windows 7 users who have no .NET 4 installed. Once you install .NET 4, Winaero Tweaker will work as usual. I am not going to drop Windows 7 support, but I am fed up with .NET 3.5.
Run as Trusted Installer
I don't think that this feature needs to be introduced. Please use carefully!
Hide pages of the Settings app
You can now hide pages of the Settings app, of your choice.
Battery Life Estimated Time
Once you enable this option, Windows 10 will show a tooltip for the battery icon with the device's estimated battery life, expressed in hours and minutes, in addition to the percentage which is calculated in real-time.
Repair Windows Image context menu
Adds a special entry to the Desktop context menu to repair the corrupted component store with one click when needed.
Sfc Scannow Context Menu
The sfc /scannow command is a well known way to do an integrity check of all Windows 10 system files. sfc.exe is the System File Checker tool which can be helpful in many scenarios and fix various issues with Windows 10. You can now add a special context menu entry to launch it directly with one click.
Environment Variables Context Menu
Environment variables in an operating system are values that contain information about the system environment, and the currently logged in user. By adding a special context menu, you'll be able to see and change them quickly.
Add Classic Desktop Background to Control Panel
If you are not satisfied by the new way to tune up your OS appearance in Settings, you might be interested in adding the classic Desktop Background applet back to the Control panel.
Add Classic Color and Appearance to Control Panel
Similarly to the feature above, you can add the classic color dialog back to the classic Control Panel in Windows 10.