If you are frequently using Hyper-V, you might be pleasantly surprised to know that Microsoft has added a new Ubuntu virtual machine image to the Hyper-V Quick Create feature. It takes exactly one click now to get a working 19.04 Ubuntu instance.
Back in September 2018 Microsoft announced the availability of optimised 18.04 LTS desktop images for Microsoft’s Hyper-V gallery bring a host of benefits including:
- Improved clipboard integration
- Dynamic desktop resizing
- Shared folders for easy host/guest file transfer
- Improved mouse experience, seamlessly moving between the host and guest desktops.
Today, a new Ubuntu 19.04 image became available along with the LTS version. This will help make life a bit easier for people working with Ubuntu desktop on Windows.
Create Ubuntu 19.04 Virtual Machine with Hyper-V Quick Create
- Enable Hyper-V in optional features if you don't have it installed.
- Type Quick Create in Cortana/Search on the taskbar.
- Select Hyper-V Quick Create in the search result.
- Select Ubuntu 19.04 as shown below.
In the future, Microsoft is planning to provide the latest LTS and the most recent non-LTS release. That way you can choose between the known quantity of the LTS or the freshest release.